Tiffany's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

2741932
Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, geekiness, nonfiction
Read from June 08 to 11, 2012

I'm the kind of person that avoids nonfiction like the plague. I'm not really proud of it, but there it is. It's just that nonfiction books can get really dull. And slow. And painful. So I was pleasantly surprised when Outliers turned out to be a really fascinating read.

The values of the world we inhabit and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound effect on who we are.

In Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell uses a deceptively simple idea to transform the way we understand success. He uses a case-by-case scenario to show that there are unseen factors that contribute to a person's success (e.g. birth month, birth place, parents' occupation, etc.)

Gladwell's style of writing is very well-constructed. It's kind of like a very fashionable outfit. His easy-to-follow writing and persuasive tone really pulls the book together into a fascinating commentary on the unexpected factors that cultivate success.

Superstar lawyers and math whizzes and software entrepreneurs appear at first blush to lie outside ordinary experience. But they don't. They are products of history and community, of opportunity and legacy. Their success is not exceptional or mysterious. It is grounded in a web of advantages and inheritances, some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky -- but all critical to making them who they are. The outlier, in the end, is not an outlier at all.

Clearly, Malcom Gladwell has put a lot of effort into spreading this new perspective on the nature of success. Gladwell wants to be heard, and I'm listening.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.