April (The Steadfast Reader)'s Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Nov 29, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, beach-reads, blogged
Read from November 26 to 29, 2013, read count: 2

** spoiler alert **

This was my second time reading this book, I picked it up again because I found out there were two more in the series. Unfortunately I made the mistake of reading Shift, which is technically a prequel, before rereading this. I would urge others not to make that mistake.

I still stand by my first review that the end of the first novella, the one simply entitled Wool is so final, so powerful at the end that it really would have made an extraordinary standalone. But, everyone (including me) loves a franchise, so let's get to it.

The characters are well done and the world building is extraordinary. Howey does an awesome job at revealing what is happening in this dystopian society little by little, which really helps to keep the reader engaged in the story and with the characters. It had been long enough since I had read this that I didn't remember exactly what happened in the story so even though this was a reread I had some surprises.

Enjoyable. I'm about to start Dust, looking forward to it.

June 2012
Three and a half stars, really. I think that ending the series at the first novella would have been much more satisfying in a way.

I don't often write spoiler reviews, but this is different. The ending of the first novella is so final, so perfect in the way a short story should end, I really think that the author messed up in turning it into a hopeful, happy-go-lucky ending that finishes the fifth novella.

Overall - extraordinarily entertaining, but nothing deep or important.

EDIT: I also want to add that this book IS easy to get immersed in and the author does characters very, very well. Which is no small feat.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.

06/19/2012