Alyssa's Reviews > Essence of Time

Essence of Time by Liz Crowe

Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: arc-recvd, 2012-favorites, read-in-2012
Read from June 08 to 09, 2012

*WARNING - Do not attempt to read this book without having a massive amount of tissues ready. This review contains no spoilers :)

Essence of Time is, without a doubt, the best book that I have read this year. Liz Crowe continues to amaze & astound me with her spot on writing, superb character development & her ability to evoke such emotion from within the pages of her books.

HOLY FUCK. Those were the words that I said very loudly as I was in the throes of an ugly cry upon finishing this book. Never have I experienced a book like this. Within its pages, one of the most beautiful love stories that I’ve ever read, is told. When you are done, you will not be the same. You will not look at another book the same way again. For me, it is now the book that all other books are judged against. It is a MUST read and I implore everyone to read this series ♥

We get glimpses of Rob Frietag & Blake Thornton’s relationship throughout the first three books of the series. You know there is a strong relationship between them and you see them falter some in Closing Costs. Liz did such a wonderful job creating & shaping these secondary characters that I became invested in them and had to know more. There were always hints about their past and about the circumstances that brought them together, in Essence of Time, we finally get to see it - and it was magical! There is never a question of should they be together, how long will they be together or even are they right for each other. You know that they are truly soul mates and that their paths, no matter how crooked they seemed, would always lead them to each other.

I loved all the backstory! The book starts out with Rob & Jack in college and ends in the present. You’re given both Rob & Blake’s pasts and how their previous relationships have shaped them. You see glimpses & get history of characters that give you a whole new insight into their personality & psyche. Your eyes are forced opened to the horrific pasts of other characters and, hopefully, your views will be changed by it. I started this book with a few preconceived ideas in my head and I thought I was prepared for possibly lay ahead. I was completely & utterly blindsided by the reality. I am devastated, I am pissed off, I am heartbroken - but I’m still in love with this book and wouldn’t change a thing.

Check out all my reviews at Hesperia Loves Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essence of Time.