Nadine Jones's Reviews > The Golden Season

The Golden Season by Connie Brockway

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, regency
Read in July, 2012

I really wanted to like this book, I really did. I SO loved the first book I read by this author. But ... this one just fell flat. I didn't really care about the characters. I kept falling asleep while reading. Then it became so melodramatic, I just wanted something ridiculous and extreme to happen, just to get to the ending.

Plot in a nutshell: Dear dear exquisitely wealthy and beautiful and amazing Lady Lydia Eastlake has frittered away her amazing wealth and is (GASP!) POOOOOOOR! Now, her definition of "poor" is not my definition of "poor" so it's hard for me to get worked up about it. In fact, I believe the "GASP! I'm poor!" plot line is my least favorite romance trope. Anyway, moving on: Captain Jack Sparrow, uh, no, Captain Ned Lockton has returned from the wars, to find that his family is ALSO (gasp!) POOR!!! His family (his brother, the Earl, along with sister-in-law (Nadine!), sister, and two nephews and a niece) all expect him to Do Something About It by marrying into money. Ned mans up, despite the fact that both nephews are complete lunkheads. Then Ned meets Lydia, it's love at first sight for both of them, but it takes a while for them to get around to realizing it, and even longer for them to get around to owning up to it. Sigh. Typical. Yadda yadda yadda, plot twist, evil villain, crazed push on the edge of the River Thames, and ... we have a HEA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Season.