Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken

Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: read-childrens-books
Read in January, 2012

I'd been wanting to read this book for a while now, but every time I looked for it on the shelf it was checked out. At last I've had my chance, and it was worth the wait. Louise is a chicken who longs for adventure, and flies the coop looking for it. This book relates three of her adventures--at sea (captured by pirates!), at the circus (on the trapeze!), and overseas (at what appears to be an Arabic marketplace). In each adventure, however, Louise's homesickness points her wings toward home, where her sister hens are eager to hear about her latest adventures. My favorite part of the story is when Louise releases the hens trapped in the cage with her by picking the lock with her wing. So cute!

Harry Bliss' colorful illustrations make this a visual treat. He sure can draw cute chickens! My favorite picture is the last 2-page spread, showing all the hens in their nesting boxes, with the pigs and dog sleeping nearby and the cat peering out the barn door into the rain. Though the text doesn't mention any particular country as the setting, one gets the idea from Bliss' illustrations that it's France, because all the hens have French names written in signs above their nesting boxes, and when Louise resigns from the circus she hands in a paper entitled "La Resignation." I wonder why he did that? Anyway, this story would make a great readaloud for middle to upper elementary age kids, and is recommended for anyone who loves adventure and chickens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Luann I read this to all my library classes last week. Even 6th graders enjoyed it. :)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer I can believe it! Great story!