Elizabeth's Reviews > Objects of My Affection

Objects of My Affection by Jill Smolinski

Jun 27, 12

Read from June 08 to 15, 2012

Sometimes I don't like to read books that include a topic that hits too close to home. I was nervous about the topic of hoarding. I'm not a hoarder. I'm just a normal mom with a big family who wishes her house was a bit cleaner and a bit less cluttered. But watching Hoarders on TV makes me very uncomfortable. I get up and start cleaning and throwing things away. I just have this visceral reaction to the show.

So I had a bit of a conundrum. Do I read this? Will it make me uncomfortable?

Well it didn't. Marva is presented as a hoarder, but not a dead cat under the empty pizza boxes kind of hoarder.

There are some complicated relationships here. Marva and her son are strangers practically. Lucy has hovered over her son and is in denial of his addiction issues. Marva wants to keep everything and Lucy keeps nothing in her own way. It was a very interesting set of circumstances. I wanted to know how this would play out. How would each character change? Would it be for the better? I felt satisfied with the ending and found the character development fascinating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Objects of My Affection.