Sara's Reviews > The Broken Lands

The Broken Lands by Kate Milford

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: ya, bea
Read from June 08 to 12, 2012

I picked this book up, as an Advance Readers Copy, at BEA--and there will be a blog post to follow about it (probably as soon as it becomes July and I have more than three minutes to spare not working with Middle School kids)

Let me begin by saying this wasn't a book I was looking for at BEA, it actually wasn't even a book I had heard about, I was just talking to a friend and she had picked it up and was looking at it, then handed it to me, and I started reading it, and couldn't stop.

The characters are each unique and fully flushed out, even the sideline characters. The Main two characters, Sam and Jin, each go on different emotional journeys, and end up growing, during the story.

There were a few moments when I questioned the ratting, as 7th grade and up, because it dealt with a few adult issues, things that were implied and never fully stated (specifically regarding Jin's Childhood), but 7th graders learn about the Holocaust in most schools, so if they can handle that then this shouldn't be an issue.

I actually spent a lot of the book trying to decide if it was an adult book or a middle grades book, and in the end, I decided it was both. A book pretty much anyone could enjoy. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five was because in the beginning there were a few places that I had a real hard time following POV switches.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Lands.