Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Beginning Your Marriage

Beginning Your Marriage by John L. Thomas

Jun 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: religion, wedding, non-fiction, self-help
Read in April, 2012

I seem to recall writing a review for this one already, but it seems to have fallen through the cracks of my "book catch-up" around the wedding haze.

After doing quite a lot of reading that focused on the "bridal" experience of marriage, it was a nice counterpoint to read a book intended to acknowledge both sides of the couple. I also liked that this book, unlike other marriage books I've read, was focused on the spiritual aspects of marriage. I did feel like a lot of the advice was fairly trite or common sense, but that may be needed by people who still think more about the wedding than the lifetime that comes after it. While the chapter about child-rearing rather beautifully elevated the raising of children to a spiritual journey, it lost me when the author referred to married couples who did not want children as "selfish." That is a tired old idea that really has got to go, and I'll be passing this book on as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beginning Your Marriage.