Annie's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: die-for

Spark ARC
My review can also be found at:
PLEASE FOLLOW!

Acknowledgments (no, it's not like I'm writing a book or something but I am SUPER grateful)
First and foremost, thank you to the author, Brigid Kemmerer, for being so kind and willing enough to take my plea for a galley into consideration.  You were so helpful and nice so THANK YOU!!! :)
Secondly, thank you to Kensington publishing company for approving my request to read the digital galley of ARC!
Last but not least, to all those awesome bloggers on Goodreads who gave me helpful suggestions and shared the same pain as me (approval to Spark still pending)
So thank you soooooo much to all you awesome people!

Now, for the actual book review:

Synopsis:
Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.
Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.
Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.
More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.
Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.
The fuse is lit…

How INTENSE is this summary? Forget fire, I think I just died.
Let's just take a moment to reflect on how SEXY this summary is...

A few moments later:
If you love Storm, you will love this. There's no doubt of that. But, if like me, you already claimed Gabriel as the hawtest Merrick and liked him single: sorry. It hurts at first, when you realize he likes Laney but the pain lessens. A little.
If you were looking forward to the Becca/Chris love story: sorry. In this book, the main focus remains on Gabriel and Laney (the love interest). While Chris and Becca pop in every now and then, the book is solely focused on Gabriel's life. Another INTERESTING development was Nick and Quinn. Woah! I was somewhat perplexed at their blossoming love, I mean it was obvious since book one they would be together, but I figured their love story ( hehehe, I love that song by Taylor Swift and that book by Jennifer Echols if you're wondering) would take place in Nick's book but it happened in Spark which makes me wonder:
1. Will Nick even have a book?
2. If he does have a book, which he most likely will, then what is in store for him, love-wise since he's already taken?

Anyways, enough of my rambling, now to characters, starting with...

Gabriel:
I could go on and on and on and on about he is so hawt, HE should be on fire but I think we are all well aware of his EXTREME EXTREME EXTREME hawtness.
Gabriel is generally thought to be the bad, insensitive guy but he's really not. In this book, we uncover his secrets and get past his rough, bitter layers to reveal the good guy who's underneath. Personally, I thought what made Gabriel so GOOD was not his philanthropic actions, but the fact he didn't require any thanks for it. He saved people from fires and was accused of starting the fires himself, but not once did he require any glory for his charitable actions. I think that shows more about his character than anything else.
He's not perfect, though. Not even by a long shot, but he tries to redeem himself. Yes, he hides his tortured soul behind mean comments and a huge ego but underneath that, there's a really great guy. I love Gabriel not only because he is the hawtest Merrick brother, in my opinion, but because he has issues and learns not to run away from them but to face them. In short, he is freaking amazing.

Laney:
I'm not gonaa lie, in the beginning, I hated her so much, but towards the end, though I didn't agree with her reasoning, I still got where she was coming from and learned to appreciate her as a character. In the beginning of the book, she was extremely rude and seemed stuck-up but she improved as the book went on. She was the typical nerd who's actually hawt so I didn't really like that characterization. Did she have to be hawt? Why couldn't she have just been a regular nerd, that I would have liked to see. But besides that, I understood why she did what she did. Another bonus part was her compassion for her brother, I thought it was utterly adorable!

Things that irked me: ( come on, everyone has those)

1. Gabriel and Layne
Yes, they were cute together and Laney was mostly tolerable BUT it makes me sad to see Gabriel not single. I couldn't help loving him as a single in the first book :)

2. The scene in which Stacey ( this total douche bag who I hate) and Layne are talking. Layne says " Luke, I am your father. " and Stacey is all like, "Wow, you sure know your Star Wars!". Seriously??? EVERYONE, I mean everyone, knows that quote. You don't need to even watch the movies to know that line! I knew that line even before I watched it, it's is the most popular quote of all time and you DON'T have to be a fan to know.

3. Hunter. I loved his friendship with Gabriel, it was the most adorable thing in the entire book but I hoped with making Hunter more of a main character, we would glean more information about his relationship with Becca but no such luck :( He doesn't talk about his true feelings towards Becca and I couldn't help but feel disappointed :(
Maybe in the next book, oh I can't WAIT for Spirit, Hunter is the best, after Gabriel of course ;)

Overall:
Five stars out of five stars
It was extremely well written and I enjoyed reading a book from Gabriel's perspective. We didn't see much of Chris/Becca but that's what comes with companion novels. With books like these, with alternating perspectives, you can't seem to let got of the characters in the first book, so seeing them as flat characters in the next books really hurts. On the other end, companion novels in a series are great because you get the perspective from each person and understand everyone much better instead of just one or two.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.