Susan's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

F 50x66
Nov 03, 08

bookshelves: 2008-2009

I read this book because everyone who has read it, recommends it to me. After I read this book, I understood what made this book so powerful. I think reading this book right after the 10th grade was the best choice. Last year I learned a lot on how to spot symbolism and themes. While I was reading this book, everything began coming to me at once. This book taught me a lot about how a symbol can have so much power. The concept of the kite is constantly brought up. To me, the kite resembled freedom, but at the same time also the loss of innocence. A kite is usually considered as a sign for freedom because it's floating in the sky (sky's the limit). The reader can tell that the kite has a powerful meaning because even though running a kite can cut the person's hand and leaves them bleeding, the person never gives up until the end. The kite shows freedom because even though Amir has a lot of trouble and issues with his father, they come together to be united through running the kites. However, at the same time the kites were used in the horrific event of Hassan being tormented. Because Hassan would not give up the kite, it led to his assault which eventually led to Amir's regret for a long part of his life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.