RainbowGirl RainbowGirl's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Apr 19, 2016

bookshelves: da-best, normal-stuff, brand-new-eyes, make-u-think, break-your-heart, monsters-are-real, cried-my-eyes-out, reviwed, blog
Read from June 08 to 11, 2012

This is a different book and, even though I’m not really sure what I was expecting, I can say that this wasn’t it. In honor of this rare occasion, I’ll do a different review as well. For those who are reading this review in hopes to read this book, I’ll give a little taste of what to expect of it. I’m pretty sure this won’t be much difference, cose this book is a surprise no matter what you expect.

Reviewed on 06/25/2012.

Dear Friend,

I’m writing to you so I can share something I think is just too special for me to keep it to myself. I just read a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

description

I know, I know, it doesn’t sound so great and the cover is really dorky, but sometimes a dorky cover can hide a really cool story. The story is about this guy named Charlie.

description

He is really shy and doesn’t have many friends, so I was really happy for him when he told me he had made some new friends.

description

People often say they are happy for other people’s happiness without meaning it, but I totally do. So, Charlie meets Patrick who is really outgoing and knows a lot of stuff. He is fun and has a really great laugh that makes you want to laugh with him, because he is so happy that his happiness leaks and reaches everyone around him.

description

Charlie also meets Sam. She is so cool and pretty, but in an honest kind of way. You don’t know what kind of pretty is this? Well, is like this, she doesn’t cover every inch of her face in heavy makeup and when she smiles she really smiles. Not that kind of smile that looks like is painful because is so stretched, or the kind that makes you uncomfortable because is creepy.

description

The best thing about them is that they are the coolest people Charlie knows and still, they make him feel welcome and they really get to know him, like I did.

[image error]

I wish I could say that this story is about Charlie making friends and being happy all the time, but that would be a lie. He does tell some really happy and funny stories, but also some really sad ones.
I wish I could’ve done more for him than just listen to him tell me his stories and his experiences in life. I wish I could’ve talk to him back and tried to give him advises about what he was telling me. And sometimes I wish I could punch someone for making him feel so sad, but I guess that wouldn’t help him much, would it? Well, I guess not.
Charlie loves to read and makes mix tapes. A mix tape, if you don’t know what it is yet, is a tape where you pick up a selection of songs with a purpose. It can be mix of happy songs like: Road Trip Mix Tape, Going To The Beach Mix Tape, Happy Birthday Mix tape, etc. Or it also can be a mix of sad songs like: I Just Got Dump Mix Tape. It can really be anything you want it to be.
Charlie gives the best music and book recommendations and when he talks about the songs, the meaning behind it and how he feels when he listen to it is really moving.
This is really a great story and I was so happy to meet Charlie and hear him talk about his life, family and friends. I cried with him, got mad with him and for him, got sad and confused, but I also felt happiness and laughed with him.
If you are reading this review in hopes to see if this book is all what everyone says it is, I’m not sure this review will help you, because I have no idea what you think this book is, but you’re probably wrong. I can’t tell you what this book is, because for me or anyone else to try to explain how it felt to listen to this book (I listened to the audio) is like trying to explain to a blind what the sky looks like. I can tell you this book is about a teenager that had some really deep problems and keeps writing to someone about them and what happens in his life like writing to a diary. That would be accurate and it’s what this book shows, just like if you tell the sky is blue.
That fact is not the heart of this book, is just the outlines. What makes something special is how it makes you feel. Just like I felt sucked in by the writing and the audio record. Connected to a fictional character to the point of seeing trough his eyes and feel like I’m part of the story too. While I listened to the book I was the one Charlie was talking with, I was his friend and that feeling of belonging, of being part of something, is what made me love this story.

But I must warn you that this is a sad book and bad things happen in it, so if you don’t like sad stories, even the ones with hope, and friendship, and love in it, you shouldn’t read it.

Since I can’t explain exactly how I felt, I’ll use one quote that seems to be as close as it can be. This is in the beginning of the book, so it’s not spoiler at all.

“I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

The movie is coming up soon and I can’t wait to watch it.

This Reading is Part of The Following Reading Challenges:

2012 Reading Challenge

For more go to:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes RainbowGirl Liked

We accept the love we think we deserve.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.”
tags: moi

Stephen Chbosky
“And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Enjoy it. Because it's happening.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It was the kind of kiss that made
me know that I was never so happy in my whole life.”

Stephen Chbosky
“We didn't talk about anything heavy or light. We were just there together. And that was enough”

Stephen Chbosky
“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Just tell me how to be different in a way that makes sense.”

Stephen Chbosky
“There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And I guess I realized at that moment that I really did love her. Because there was nothing to gain, and that didn't matter.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it too.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I don’t know if you’ve ever felt like that. That you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. Or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That’s why I’m trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning.”

Stephen Chbosky
“please believe that things are good with me, and even when they're not, they will be soon enough. And i will always believe the same about you.”

Stephen Chbosky
“She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time. ”

Stephen Chbosky
“This moment will just be another story someday.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's much easier to not know things sometimes. Things change and friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody. I wanted to laugh. Or maybe get mad. Or maybe shrug at how strange everybody was, especially me. I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and than make the choice to share it with other people. You can't just sit their and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things. I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. And I'm going to figure out what that is. And we could all sit around and wonder and feel bad about each other and blame a lot of people for what they did or didn't do or what they didn't know. I don't know. I guess there could always be someone to blame. It's just different. Maybe it's good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it's okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite.”

06/08
1.0% "I like when the narrator speaks to me. I don't feel so alone. *-*"
06/08
4.0% "Char is making me think of Forest. He is nice and really easy to listen to. I like him."
06/08
11.0% "Mental note: Listen to the music Asleep from The Smiths."
06/08
13.0% ""We accept the love we think we deserve it." Something to think about."
06/08
18.0% ""He's a wallflower." This is so sweet."
06/10
50.0% "My curiosity is getting the best of me. I can't help but ask, to whom are you writing for, Charlie?"
06/10
50.0% "I just watched the movie trailer and it made me love this story even more. I think I just pee a little form the excitement."
04/19 marked as: read