Emilie's Reviews > Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America and American in Iran

Lipstick Jihad by Azadeh Moaveni

119970
Oct 22, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: i-tried
Read in October, 2008

I tried. I really did. It's an interesting premise, but its been done before. Plus, a person who is not yet 30 years old has no business writing a memoir unless she has lived through something pretty significant. Moving from Iran to the US and back again doesn't count. The other thing that might qualify someone so young to write a memoir would be a strange or terribly unique upbringing. This author doesn't meet any of those criteria.
The first part of the book reveals such insights as "when I was little I felt embarassed sometimes because I was different from everyone else. I never felt like I fit in with the American kids". Hmm. Not surprising (or interesting).
The other thing wrong here was the writing itself. I have no idea what point the author was trying to make in the first section of the book. She was all over the place, talking about her parents' failed marriage, her lack of a real relationship with her father, her family's background in Iran.
I just can't figure out why.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipstick Jihad.

10/11/2008 page 20
7.35% "So far, not so good."

Jordini Daaaang. I'm going to go ahead and call you out on the "Hmm. Not surprising (or interesting)." I see from your photo you are white. I mean to say you yourself don't know how it feels to not fit in for the reason you are seen as an "other,." ecspecially while growing up. You feel alienated and frustrated, but you can't yet understand why at that age. It's a horrible feeling that many people face in America, so by saying that it's not interesting is like brushing off the emotional pain so many people feel.

message 2: by Sanaz (new)

Sanaz Ahmadi I have similar background to the author and I agree with this review. There are many kids who don't fit in for a variety of reasons. Having different heritage was perhaps the least reason I felt I didn't fit in, so no it's not special at all.