Emilie's Reviews > Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America and American in Iran

Lipstick Jihad by Azadeh Moaveni

F_50x66
Oct 22, 08

bookshelves: i-tried
Read in October, 2008

I tried. I really did. It's an interesting premise, but its been done before. Plus, a person who is not yet 30 years old has no business writing a memoir unless she has lived through something pretty significant. Moving from Iran to the US and back again doesn't count. The other thing that might qualify someone so young to write a memoir would be a strange or terribly unique upbringing. This author doesn't meet any of those criteria.
The first part of the book reveals such insights as "when I was little I felt embarassed sometimes because I was different from everyone else. I never felt like I fit in with the American kids". Hmm. Not surprising (or interesting).
The other thing wrong here was the writing itself. I have no idea what point the author was trying to make in the first section of the book. She was all over the place, talking about her parents' failed marriage, her lack of a real relationship with her father, her family's background in Iran.
I just can't figure out why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipstick Jihad.

10/11/2008 page 20
7.35% "So far, not so good."