Pam's Reviews > Secret of the Wolf

Secret of the Wolf by Cynthia Garner

F 50x66
Sep 09, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, m-f-romance, paranormal, shape-shifter, urban-fantasy, vampire, police-fbi, own
Read from August 26 to 27, 2012

First--Be aware Secret of the Wolf starts off shortly after where Kiss of the Vampire left off. In my opinion that means you need to read the books in order to understand the world and relationships Ms. Garner has created.

I really like the concept for this series. Yes, its filled with many of the usual paranormal's you'd expect but the idea they come from another dimension makes it totally fresh and new. It's mixed with romance and crimes, turning it into a unique urban fantasy I only anticipate getting better. What's exciting is that there's still bits of information about their world coming to light as this second book progresses and there's still much to learn about the world they left behind. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ms. Garner has concocted a complicated ongoing plot line that the law enforcement characters are following from one book to the next. Needless to say there are lots of dangling threads as they search for answers and I eagerly wait for the next release, Heart of the Demon.

Now back to Dante and Tori. These two are great characters. They make a wonderful couple--strong, determined, capable, stubborn and a good compliment to the other. Ms. Garner did a good job developing the personalities of both, delving deeply into their family ties. Tori's relationship with her brother is tense and uneasy, whereas Dante's with his sister's is tender and loving. The relationship between Dante and Tori is nothing but professional initially but you can feel the tension--nicely done Ms. Garner. When they finally give in to their emotions, the simmering desire turns physical.

I've rambled on long enough. It's safe to say I enjoyed the book. It's well written, has a fast plot, smooth pace and vivid description. I like both Tori and Dante, the story has plenty of twist and turns, and the new secondary characters are important and interesting. I usually complain when there are dangling thread but not with an ongoing story line. Yes I've got questions but I'm certain at least some will be answered in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret of the Wolf.