Lucky's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz   Moore

U_50x66
Jun 08, 12

Read in June, 2012

This book grew on me. I have to say, right off, that I "listened" to it. I think that really does have a huge impact on a "reading" and whether you like it or not. When I say "grew on me" it implies I didn't like it in the beginning and that's just not true. Perhaps I had to get used to the narrator's voice.

I stumbled upon this book in the library's downloadable media catalog. I had never heard of it which surprised me because I read Publisher's Weekly and Library Journal pretty faithfully. I hope that booksellers catch on and handsell it.

Okay. To the book: This book is a beautiful meditation on loneliness. Each character carries a loneliness with them that in some cases is debilitating. I was really quite moved by this book. It was not over written which is a danger when covering big topics like grief, love, loneliness, loss. And yet, for portraying two characters who are vastly different struggling with such an emptiness in their lives, the author has given us a believable measure of hope. Even Arthur, 500+ pounds and stuck in his house by choice, experiencing a depth of loneliness most people never even get near, is not a pathetic character. He is a lovely man quite alone but still willing to reach out and grab onto a buoy.

I loved this book. Sometimes when I listen to a book, I hesitate to say this. The act of "reading" and the intimacy that brings seems a richer experience. But, I just loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.