Mike's Reviews > Focus: The Real Challenges That Face the United Methodist Church

Focus by Lovett H. Weems Jr.

Jun 08, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

Dr. Weems has spent a lot of time studying and thinking about the issues. He really knows his stuff from the top down. In his book, he is proposing a top down reorganization of the United Methodist Church. His recommendations seem reasonable, but unlikely to happen because of the very nature or chaotic or messy ways in which the denomination is governed. That is, current practices and procedures are largely protected. It is my opinion that changes can only occur from the bottom up and the best way is through money. That is, the church will have to change if local congregations begin withholding annual apportionments. I am a Methodist by birth and today's church is not the church I grew up with. Maybe, because of the frailty of memory, there never was such a church. In any case, I think the church has moved from "can do" to a "just write a check" mindset. It is easy to collect large sums and then send then on to foreign places, but in so doing we short change our neighbors that are in need and live close by. Foreign governments really like the apolitical NGOs. The Methodist church must demonstrate relevance in people's lives in order to survive. All I seem to hear is canned rhetoric.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Focus.