Daskleinepollo's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Don DeLillo

U_50x66
Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: american-prose

I feel somewhat ambivalent towards this book, but I have to recommend it.

As English is not my mother tongue I sometimes thought it was my English, and not the complexity of the book, what made me sometimes feel so confused. Actually, I was about to drop it before the end of the first part, because, even if I do like baseball I was wondering if I was grasping everything. Once I have read other comments, I feel relieved, as it seems other people had troubles with DeLillo’s narrative even as English speakers.

Fortunately I kept on, because I sense that this is mostly a brilliant novel. However I have to agree with some of its critics. It is sometimes so complex that you begin to think that there is really nothing behind words and some of the fragments not related to the plot (and there are a lot) just seem an egotistic writing exercise.

But overall characters are so well described and atmospheres so realistically recreated, that you really plunge into the story and enjoy (or more precisely suffer) the ride.

I would then recommend it, although would not be surprised if most of you left it aside. Just one tip: wait to get to the second part when the baseball game is over (I know, it is more than 100 pages), and you will be happy of having continued.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.