VaultOfBooks's Reviews > The Unwritten Rule

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Jun 08, 12

By Elizabeth Scott. Grade B
I began reading this book on the school computer in tenth grade, which is ‘obviously, a very crucial time for a student and must not be wasted on useless romance novels’. However, The Unwritten Rule was extremely addictive and I found myself on the computer in every minute I could spare.
Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don’t like your best friend’s boyfriend.
Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He’s easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he’s paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna’s boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah’s best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she’s thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It’s wonderful…and awful.
Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can’t stop herself from wanting more…
Sarah, is an average girl, nothing compared to her best friend Brianna; the stunningly gorgeous beauty who attracts boys like moths to a flame. They are complete opposites, one meek and the other outspoken. Yet, they know each other inside out and have been together since forever. However, the equation changes when Brianna starts dating Ryan, Sarah’s more-than-just-a-crush. An unfulfilled promise to dance in 8th grade and a fleeting moment at a party is all she has to treasure. But a best friend’s boyfriend is strictly off limits. Sarah constantly denies her feelings and sticks to the rules. Never mind that she saw him first and told Brianna about it. After all, a best friend can give up a guy for the sake of friendship, right?
“ I’ve been taught that love is beautiful and kind, but it isn’t like that at all. It is beautiful, but it’s a terrible beauty, a ruthless one, and you fall-you fall, and the thing is-
The thing is you want to. You don’t care what’s coming you just want who your heart beats for.”
For the former half of the book, I disliked Sarah for being such a spineless, overly self sacrificing chit but as the story progressed, I could understand her dilemma. On one hand she wants Ryan but on the other hand, she must not hurt her only best friend who already has a hard time at home because of her divorced parents – a cruel mother and an ignorant father. Sarah is relatable in many ways, for instance, she has the habit of over analyzing every little action in her head and torment herself unnecessarily.
Brianna is evidently the villain of the story. She is selfish, dominating and extremely manipulative. In spite of learning her side of the story, I could not justify her awful behavior. A bunch of evil parents did not explain her cunning deeds.
At times, I wanted to hit Ryan on the head for being a typical guy and not doing ANYTHING. Either he was aloof or blind or super dumb. Or a coward.
The book gets somewhat monotonous at a point when Sarah drones endlessly about her misery, but is helpless while Brianna continues to live in a paradise dragging poor Ryan along. But the last few chapters are an action filled delight with Brianna catching the two of them together and slapping Sarah. For a change, Ryan decides to intervene and restore my faith in teenage boys.
The ending is pleasant, with Brianna and Sarah breaking up. Sarah makes numerous attempts at reconciliation only to have the door closed in her face. But on the bright side, she finally has Ryan all to herself, which is a relief after reading at least hundred pages describing her longing. I would still recommend this book, because of its intense narration, clichéd plot, relevance and touch with reality.

Originally reviewed at: www.the-vault.co.cc

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten Rule.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam do you have the link to it?