Andrew's Reviews > A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and the Hopeful

A Sense of Direction by Gideon Lewis-Kraus

M_50x66
Jun 23, 12

Read from June 08 to 23, 2012

A quote on the back cover described this book as, "...a mix between David Foster Wallace and Eat, Pray, Love. I think to some degree this is quite an accurate observation, though certainly lacking in some very important ways. Gideon Lewis-Kraus is an incredibly gifted, intellectually-minded secularist with an ability to pull from his (and others) experiences to find fundamental "truths" about the ways in which we go through life, searching for purpose, direction, and meaning, all functioning in response to our most intimate relationships. Yet, the arrogance, entitlement, and overall disdain that Lewis-Kraus displays, limits his ability to write a memoir that is truly significant and moving in challenging the reader to explore something new themselves. It seems Lewis-Kraus did not find much in the way of "A Sense of Direction," and hence the reader will not either, but instead provided a few intellectually substantial quips about how we live, love, and muddle our way through relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sense of Direction.