Huong's Reviews > Storm Glass

Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Jun 08, 12

Read in June, 2012

The author acknowledges in a preface that her publisher pushed for another Study book to "keep up the momentum." But instead of Study#4, Ms. Snyder wanted a new title because of the new protagonist, Opal. So hence the Glass trilogy! But in all honesty, this book might as well have been Study #4. It felt like every other page was spent recapping Yelena's story from the Study trilogy.

I was hoping to dive into the world of Sitia/Ixia but from a new & refreshing angle. In fact, that's what made me want to read the Glass trilogy. Despite the dismal turnout of the Study books, I really still loved the concept so much that I wanted to see if the author could recapture what I really enjoyed from Poison Study. But instead of taking a different spin on the characters and setting, it is completely flat and boring because it's ALL ABOUT YELENA AGAIN. It was really irritating to continually read Yelena this, Yelena that...Opal's story was completely lost because everything that had happened in Study#1,2,3 had to be continually re-capped for the readers. Yeesh.

Unfortunately, Opal is another borderline TSTL heroine. After multiple kidnap attempts, she still reacts and thinks like a wannabe Yelena, except with a lot of annoying insecurities. Cmon girlfriend, really? And despite being apprehended each time, Opal still thinks she can maybeeee defend herself. Why even write about Opal? She apparently is just another stretched out Yelena character.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Glass.