Judy's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Oct 03, 08

Read in October, 2008

I read books by Bill Bryson because of his wonderful sarcasm-tinged sense of humor. Everything else I've read has been in the travel genre (although I'm really looking forward to reading his autobiography). I expected a fair amount of fluff and nonsense in this book, but was surprised to find it full of fascinating, very well-researched details that really helped me to piece together not the history of EVERYTHING, but the history of scientific discovery. Boring, right? Wrong. He covers everything from chemistry to evolution to physics, examining not only scientific laws and theories, but the fascinating lives of the world's most prominent scientists as well. I can't believe how much information is crammed into this book, and how quickly the time went by as I listened to almost 18 hours of reading. (I had the audible version.) Perhaps that is because Bryson's humor infiltrates every paragraph. It's a book I'd like to buy and use as a reference source.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.