Lina's Reviews > The Godfather

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: classic-lit, crime, cult-classic, must-read
Read from June 07 to 10, 2012

I loved this book, which surprised me more than I thought. This book is filled with such despicable characters, but they are so human and compelling that even though they say racist and sexist things I was invested in them.

Everyone already knows the general plot of the Godfather, so all I am going to leave you with is that the book is an even more complex version of the movie. It has more characters, more insight to how they feel and just gives a fuller feeling to this extremely interesting family.

This book really proves that you can have complex characters who are not "good" but still care about them. Flaws make them interesting. Sonny was probably one of my favorite characters in this book despite the fact that he was an asshole, because he was so real and interesting to me. I cared about if these people lived or died, which considering who they are is a very huge feat.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.

06/08/2012 page 86
19.0% "I am sucked in."
06/08/2012 page 156
35.0% "I must admit that I've never seen the movie adaptation of The Godfather, but I will be once I finish this."
06/08/2012 page 231
52.0% "I literally have to force myself to stop reading and go to bed. Damn you Korra!"
06/09/2012 page 350
78.0% "I have so many feels for these horrible, but amazing characters."

message 1: by Dakota (new)

Dakota I don't know the general plot of Godfather, just a few lines.

message 2: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon A magnificent work. I only read 3/4 of the way through it, but all of it was amazing. Glad you liked it!

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Guzman i completely agree, the way Puzo describes and devolpes the characters and makes you feel for them even though they are the bad guys is amazing. in my opinion, the book is far better then the movie in that you get more from the book. for instance, the movie starts off at the wedding between connie and carlo, not explaining the back story of the characters to come,Bonasera, Fontane, and Nazorine. one of which, is responsible for the famous scene in which jack waltz wakes up with a prize winning horse head on his bed.

sonny was also one of my favorite characters mainly because he was so real. he was what you would expect the son of the head of a mafia to be like, violent and arrogant. i really did feel sad when someone like sonny died. i really did feel each character which is way this is one of my favorite books.