Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)'s Reviews > I'm Here to Help

I'm Here to Help by S.F. Chapman

Jul 12, 12

Read from July 02 to 04, 2012

Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books

I'm Here to Help is a short story that relates the tale of a mother, Sharon, when she has to tell her adopted daughter about her past. Stumped by inconsistencies on her birth certificate, the young Renita questions her mother and learns more than she bargained for.

For a relatively short story, I'm Here to Help is very complete and doesn't leave readers hanging. There's a problem and a solution, and even growth in Sharon and Renita's relationship. The story's subject isn't generally a happy one, but the characters are optimistic and loving.

The story in itself is intriguing, but the execution of the story failed to do the plot justice. I'm Here to Help has big themes: grief, depression, adoption, and Chapman subtly focuses on them. Sharon tells Renita the hows and whys of her sketchy adoption in a drawn out fashion. The one problem is that the narration is too detailed for the conversation between mother and daughter. It doesn't feel natural, Sharon including details like, '"...about four in the afternoon I got up and took a shower."' It read as if Sharon tells the story to readers, not to her daughter.

Many readers will be able to appreciate I'm Here to Help. It's a quick read that will leave readers in deep contemplation.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Here to Help.

07/02/2012 page 38