Yvensong's Reviews > The Water Thief

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: free-from-pub-or-author, ebook, dystopias-utopias
Read from June 08 to 17, 2012, read count: 1

4 1/2 Stars

What an incredibly intelligent and interesting read! The world building was well-developed and very believable for a possible future. A future completely controlled by corporations in which citizens are classified by how useful they are to the corporation they are tied to. A future where everyone's perceptions of the world they live in are closely monitored and manipulated by the ruling corporations. A future where the corporations are the ruling power; governments have been long since wiped out as inefficient. A future where everything, including the rainwater and the air are commodities that each citizen must pay for.

The protagonist, Charlie Thatcher, has been working for one of the ruling corporations as one of their perception manipulators. He is your Everyman, the one who goes to work, spending his days in a cubicle, trying to stay ahead of bills, etc. He has fully bought into the system until a small story of a woman accused of stealing (rain)water falls into his lap. This story, the inciting event, changes Charlie's world forever.

The characters feel wonderfully human. There are none that are flatly good nor flatly bad. They are all just doing what they believe is the right thing to do.

There are several factors I look at when I rate a book 5 stars. I found this book hard to put down, which is one of the primary factors. I also consider character development, world building and whether I feel there was some type of growth and/or change. This novel certainly fulfilled those criteria. It is, also, very well-written. The only reason, albeit a minor one, that I'm not giving a full 5-star rating is the editing could have been run through one more time. There are a few errors that made me have to stop and reread a sentence or two.

I received this book from the author through Smashwords for free. I thank the author for giving me the opportunity to read and review this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Thief.

06/08/2012
16.0% "What a great beginning!"
show 2 hidden updates…