Bridget's Reviews > Mister Creecher

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

SPOILERS!!!

I can't say I've ever really read a book that is essentially brilliant fanfiction for 2 completely different classics set in the same time before this one. It was really lovely to see something so completely different but its unfortunate that I'd never read either Frankenstein or Oliver Twist beforehand!

My main problem with the book was that the font was in bold. Its a little thing, but it just meant everything was over emphasised without adding any real value to it. I also don't feel that the manner of talking and all the assumptions the main character makes were viable for the era or Billy himself.

That said, the concept was fascinating and I found myself truly enjoyinh the sweeps of the story. I found the exploration of friendships, differences and the amount of good in the world very interesting and engaging, even if they were played down at some points.

Overall it is a rather good read, I had been hoping for a happy ending but I think it was better without one :) Its perfectly suited for its audience of children, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I were of the right age :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Creecher.