Cindy's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Oct 03, 08

I was SOOOO disappointed in this book. The only reason I gave it even one star is because of his depiction of the lovely dogs in the story. I felt like the author went overboard trying to 'wax poetic' to the point where I didn't know what he was talking about, even being unsure of what the progression of events was. The entire plot builds to a very important resolution THAT NEVER HAPPENS! What a sell-out. It felt like climbing a long flight of stairs with the anticipation of finding a beautiful room there, and just as you are about to take that last step, someone jumps out and knocks you in the head with a club and you go tumbling down the stairs. I was so mad I couldn't go to sleep after finishing it. So there you go. Oprah doesn't know what she's talking about.
60 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Michelle "The entire plot builds to a very important resolution THAT NEVER HAPPENS!"

Very much a story that requires the reader to bring themselves to the party.

I found the resolution of each making a choice and redeeming it very satisfying.

Elaine There is so much detail that one must feel he is living Edgar's life with him. It really doesn't seem to go anywhere and I (sadly) have so much more of the book to go.

Lauren I soooo agree. I was so angry after reading this book that I wanted to cry. What was the point of most of the things that happened in this book. Oprah called this book a love story...she is out of her mind. I loved this book until the end. I loved the ghost aspects, the dog aspects...but thats it. The ending was infuriating.

Elaine I'm guessing Oprah never read the book.

message 5: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Burrows I got this book on tape from the library. I'm sure glad I didn't buy it. It went on and on and on. I kept thinking something has to happen at some point. I do not fill like I have to finish books anymore and was more than happy to give up on this one. I would have been angry too if I had forced myself to finish.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Parent I totally agree. I wish I would have read your review before I wasted my time reading this book.

Heather Nekola Read Hamlet.

message 8: by Tib (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tib I'm with you on this. Exactly how I felt.