Ashley Gregory's Reviews > Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors

Red Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: childrens-literature
Read in June, 2012

Audience: 3rd-5th grade. I think boys and girls would enjoy this book. The way it is written would possibly go right over the heads of students younger than 3rd grade. However, if you were reading it for fun, the ideas of colors and seasons would work for younger than 3rd.

Award list: 2010 Caldecott Honor Book.

Appeal: The first time I read this book I read it too fast to really understand it. I found myself confused and not enjoying it. Then I reread it slower, stopping and thinking after each sentence. I discovered that it is a book of many trades. It has poetry, colors, seasons and neat artwork all wrapped into one book. Therefore, I feel that "Red Sings from the Treetops: A year in colors" would work for all of the ideas I listed. I actually enjoyed this book enough the second time around that I have considered purchasing it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Sings from Treetops.

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Loewenstein I had the same experience with the book the first time I read it. Now that I have read it many more times since, I'm a fan! I want to buy this book, too!!