mybluesunset's Reviews > Reader and Raelynx

Reader and Raelynx by Sharon Shinn

F_50x66
Jun 07, 12

I was frustrated at the main characters and their bullheaded, morally righteous superiority complex. Interesting questions of the justification for war-- is it worth slaughtering thousands of people just to decide who will sit on the throne? When should we compromise 'true love' and personal desires for strategic advantages?-- are brushed over by making the villains entirely brutal sadistic rapists with an unthinking prejudice against mystics. Really, when Senneth rejected the offer of marrying Halchon's 14 year old son to 19 year old Amalie because he was bound to be evil like his father and Amalie would surely rather die, that broke any respect I had for her. That was a great political bargain! The son is younger than Amalie and thus easily controlled. But no, that would require compromising with evil and marrying for something other than true love, and even a queen cannot be expected to do that... There's no way Amalie's announcement of being a mystic and her marriage to Cammon-as-a-conveniently-fake-noble in the aftermath would have been so easily accepted by the populace either.

Senneth was a disappointment of this series. She was set up to be such a strong and unconventional female main character, and yet in this book she's not only politically useless but her storyline is "helpless in the grasp of an evil man who is unnaturally obsessed with her, then eventually saved by her valiant boyfriend from a fate worse than death." I never was too fond of the character of Amalie, and found her romance with Cammon to be sweet but a little bland. She was set up to be a girly-but-powerful ruler, but the 'powerful' part was never convincing for me.

Reading over this review, it seems like I hated this book, but I really didn't. I enjoyed the first half of it and was fairly apathetic through some more, and it was only in the last fourth that I became frustrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reader and Raelynx.