✿Alyssa✿'s Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Read from June 07 to 10, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up:

(Zarek's Point of View)

Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity- I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can't trust anyone... not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to hurt anyone who gets in my way.

Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled- I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.

Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?

Astrid: (Emilia Clarke really came to mind when I thought of Astrid's character. This picture my be a tad but cartoon-ish, but you get the idea.)

[image error]

Zarek: (Matthias Streitwieser works for me when it comes to Zarek's character- Of course I picture Zarek with longer hair... But who can beat a face like this?)

[image error]

I have to be honest- The only reason I even started reading this book was for three reasons:

1. My friend Lindsay and I had a deal that if she’s going to read a book of my choice all the way through until the end, that I was too. (And this was the book she picked.)

2. Lindsay said the hero, Zarek was a complete and total jerk. (My favorite.)

And...

3. Lindsay also told me that the heroine wasn’t an annoying smart-mouth that had a “don’t-mess-with-me-because-I-don’t-need-anyone” attitude… (I despise that.)

Since this isn’t the first book in the series, it took me a good fifty pages or so to really get into it. All of the characters that were introduced had me feeling a little lost since I had no background knowledge on this series- But eventually the story took off and I ended up being able to finish it without many complications.

Zarek definitely had jerk potential- For the first time in his life someone tempted him more than any other person in the world ever has. Astrid had a vulnerability about her that brought out all of Zarek’s protective instincts... It was her, who had him questioning something as simple as what it would feel like to just be held. My heart broke for the tortured hero- Truly, it did. He was alone in the world and the idea of someone caring about him and whether he lived or died was a very foreign thing for him. He always tried to belong, but it never worked for him; He was an outsider and that was all he knew in the real world. He lived in constant pain and loneliness, letting hatred guide everything he said or did. My heart ached for the boy he once was... The boy who should have always been loved- Instead, he had grown into a bitter and angry man. But who could have blamed him when all he’d ever been shown was contempt? I just wanted to hug the man- When I say my heart literally broke for Zarek, I mean that I literally cried while reading every page that was filled with his mistreatment. He might have had a frightening presence, but he did kind things that were at odds with his surliness- And those were the times that had me falling more and more in love with him.

Astrid is definitely a favorite heroine of mine. She saw what was inside Zarek… The vulnerability. She seemed to be the only one who truly understood the man that he didn’t dare show anyone else. It was she, who wanted to ease his suffering. I sympathized with her so much for just wanting to take Zarek’s pain away. Anyone in her shoes and who had a heart, would have wanted to do the very same thing.

I’ll admit, there were so many secondary characters that at times it was hard to keep up- Of course that’s through no fault but my own, since I started the series with this book. However, for anyone planning to read this book first before all the rest of the books in the Dark-Hunter Series, then I would definitely make sure you have someone you can talk with if you have any questions- I would have been completely lost during certain part of this book without Lindsay’s help... (Thank goodness for awesome friends and buddy reads!)

One thing that I absolutely loved and appreciated was the interactions between Sasha and Zarek, as well as the brief glimpses we got of Ash and Simi- It definitely added a lighter touch to the novel but didn’t take away from the emotional intensity of the book.

This is definitely a story about change and forgiveness, and filled with so much emotion. Zarek’s story touched me like no other book has… My heart physically hurt for him and the pain he went through during his life. Sherrilyn Kenyon seriously did a fantastic job with this book, and I’m happy to say that it won’t be my last. ...And dare I say it? But...

I.
LOVED.
ASH.

I know bragging about my love for another hero in Zarek’s review may not be the best and smartest idea, but the brief glimpses I got of Ash in this story definitely makes me want to go out and buy his book! *sigh*
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.

06/07/2012 "...Oh God, here goes! I'm doing a buddy read with Lindsay on this one- it will be my first Sherrilyn Kenyon book! She told me that the hero is a complete jerk and absolutely drool-worthy, so wish me luck! :)" 10 comments
06/08/2012
32.0% "*sniff, sniff* ...MY POOR ZAREK! My heart breaks for him and his tortured soul! I just want to love on him and give him the BIGGEST hug ever. :(

" 9 comments
06/10/2012
100.0% "...is it bad that after reading Zarek's story, that I'm more in love with Ash??? I... MUST... HAVE... ASH!!! ♥"

Katina Hi Alyssa! This has to be one of my fave in the Dark Hunter Series. I think you'll like it alot.

✿Alyssa✿ I'm a little more than half-way through the book Katina, and I'm really liking it! Zarek is perfect! *sigh* ...I've yet to read anymore in this series, but since Zarek can be a huge jerk, (which I love) my friend Lindsay convinced me to read it! :)

Wminbc You love him Right?!@?!?!? Knew it! The bowl Sunshine made for him makes me sooo cry everytime I read both books! Loved, loved, loved Z!

message 4: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Wminbc wrote: "You love him Right?!@?!?!? Knew it! The bowl Sunshine made for him makes me sooo cry everytime I read both books! Loved, loved, loved Z!"

Aww... the bowl Sunshine made for Zarek just about broke my heart! As a matter of fact, the story of Zarek's past made my eyes water- it was heartbreaking! I've got to admit though... as much as I loved Zarek, I'M IN LOVE WITH ASH NOW! ...I'm really thinking about reading his book next :)

Lindsay Photobucket
Photobucket
YOU ACTUALLY ENJOYED A BOOK I LOVE!!!!!!!
Photobucket

Great review Alyssa :)

I'm definitely up for a buddy read of more Dark-Hunter books, just let me know when!

Wminbc ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Wminbc wrote: "You love him Right?!@?!?!? Knew it! The bowl Sunshine made for him makes me sooo cry everytime I read both books! Loved, loved, loved Z!"

Aww... the bowl Sunshine made for Zarek ..."

Nooooooo.....read in order...Valerius his brother is my heart throb and we vacationed in NOLA together last year! Each book builds towards Acheron and your really see the D-H views do Ash but then his story will DESTROY you and then put you back together....I have been a minion for years now and re read this entire series in order at least four times and re read fav books out of order ten times that....ya, a new AG minion has been sprung!

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ i will have to fight u for Ash. ;)

HeyKristenandKim Ash is my all time favorite. No one has ever topped him, and I've read tons more since his book. Loved a lot of guys but no one has ever compared.

message 9: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 10, 2012 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Lindsay- I'm up for more whenever you're ready! :)

Wminbc- it seems like everyone absolutely loves this series! Lindsay told me Acheron's story will break my heart! I fell in love with him in Zarek's book, and can't wait to read his story! I'll have to check out Valerius' story as well, since he's your heart-throb, hehe!

Sharon- I'll fight you for Ash too! My gosh, I absolutely LOVE him, hehe!

Mak- I have a feeling he is going to be my absolute favorite as well! I think I may start on his book tonight!

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ LOL Alyssa!! it's on like donkey kong!

✿Alyssa✿ LOL! You just had me cracking up laughing Sharon! Maybe we can work out a deal and share him! ;)

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ LOL...im definitely ALL for that...gotta fit the others in sometime! ;)

Taryn at My Secret Romance how come her picture didn't come through?

~V~ Yay Alyssa!!! So glad you liked this book!! I also LOVE Ash..YUM! :)

Wminbc Oh...you will also love Dev...the wise cracking of the were triplets, Xypher the asshat dream god, and Sin....ahhhhh, Sin! Loved, loved, loved him too! Seriously, read them all and go back to beginning and love them all!

message 16: by Karla (new)

Karla Excellent review Alyssa! You are on a roll here! Seems like you've hit on something good!

Wminbc Karla wrote: "Excellent review Alyssa! You are on a roll here! Seems like you've hit on something good!"

Karla...are you not into the Dark-Hunters????? Seriously, read these books!!!! These are my favorite PNR of all time! Every book is different, the men are awesome, the women kick ass, the threads through all the stories are amazing and teasing and the Simi is the shit!!! Read these.

message 18: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 12, 2012 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

V- Ash... there are no words! He's now my favorite hero EVER!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I think it's so sweet that my husband Ash takes such good care of her and loves her so much! I'll definitely have to read more on Dev and Xypher!

Karla... I agree with Wminbc! (Even though I've only read one book and am currently on another book in the series, I am LOVING everything about these stories!) You're so right... I think I've definitely hit something good! But I have to gush for a second... I'm reading book eleven in the series now... (Acheron) ...and Karla... you're fixing to fall over and die when you hear me say this, but... the hero in this book, Ash... he's my new favorite hero EVER. Better than Kellan. Better than Brian. Better than Nicholas. And better than Matthew. And this book... is probably my favorite book in the WHOLE WORLD. I'm only at 40%, and I feel this way... there are just no words!

Wminbc ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I think it's so sweet that my husban..."

Sin is a guy who marries Ash's daughter...the Simi on the other hand...TOTALLY love that crazy demon! :)

Lindsay Photobucket

WOW.

(I don't disagree, but I didn't expect you to say that!)

Wminbc Lindsay wrote: "

WOW.

(I don't disagree, but I didn't expect you to say that!)"

Ash over any book man...anywhere...any time...any way!

✿Alyssa✿ Wminbc wrote: "♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

V- Ash... there are no words! He's now my favorite hero EVER!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I think it's so swe..."

LOL! Oh my gosh, I'm so embarrassed! I thought you were talking about SIMI! BAHAHAHA! ...I haven't ever heard of Sin! Oh... my... goodness! I think I know who's story I'll be reading next!

✿Alyssa✿ Wminbc wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "

WOW.

(I don't disagree, but I didn't expect you to say that!)"

Ash over any book man...anywhere...any time...any way!"

CAN YOU BELIEVE I ADMITTED IT LINDSAY? I agree with Wminbc one hundred percent:

Ash... over any hero... anywhere... anytime!

Wminbc ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Wminbc wrote: "♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

V- Ash... there are no words! He's now my favorite hero EVER!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I th..."

Sin is a totally awesome Asshole who loves his friends and kicks butt all over enemies...Love him! Zarek's brother Valerius and Tabitha are AMAZING together...Love them both! So hard to tell, Dev, the were is also such a wisecracking jerk...the love is endless, but the well for Acheron is bottomless!!! Even without Aphrodite's touch he would have been the shit! Love him and his HEA almost deserves him (but I would have been better). enjoy! chat when you wish about all things D-H.

message 25: by Karla (new)

Karla Wminbc wrote: "Karla wrote: "Excellent review Alyssa! You are on a roll here! Seems like you've hit on something good!"

No I haven't read these yet, but someday. I know an awful of readers are crazy about them, and I love to read them, but I have soooo many series going right now that I want to complete first! However, curiosity might get the best of me...you never know! LOL!

message 26: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿Alyssa✿ LOL! I can't believe how much I'm enjoying all of these books- I can't wait to read all of the others in the series! I'm officially hooked! I'm already in love with Sin, Valerius and Dev, and I haven't even been introduced to them yet, hehe! :)

message 27: by Karla (new)

Karla ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I think it's so sweet that my husban..."

Out of order again??? Sigh...I'm stressing, but at least you're happy Alyssa and that's all that matters, right? Right!
hperventilating

Wminbc ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "LOL! I can't believe how much I'm enjoying all of these books- I can't wait to read all of the others in the series! I'm officially hooked! I'm already in love with Sin, Valerius and Dev, and I hav..."

hahahah....ok then girlfriend...cannot wait to see what you say when you do meet them! Valerius is just sooo hot in a way that I could feel is a real guy!

✿Alyssa✿ Karla- I love that picture of Lisa from The Simpsons! You know me... I love reading books out of order! I read the entire I-Team Series out of order, hehe! I'm notorious for it! ;)

Wminbc- I love when heroes seem so real. That's how I felt about Brian and Kellan's character from Rock Me and Thoughtless... they both seemed like they were actual real men!

~V~ ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Taryn- I got the picture to work again! I don't know what the heck happened!

Wminbc- I love Sin! I think it's so sweet that my husban..."

HOLY COW Alyssa!!! I'm shocked!!! Who'da thought!!?? WOW!! Ash is DEF. "favorite hero" material though! I can't believe you're reading and liking these..YAY!! ;)