Anita's Reviews > Witchling

Oct 03, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

I almost put this book down after the first chapter. Talk about a horrible start - it takes half of the book to warm up and be a little bit interesting. There are inexcusably bad puns, and early on, there is a false sense of camaraderie among characters that has not yet been earned from the reader's perspecive. The first few chapters read like a high school senior wrote the book.

Fortunately, the story does improve as the book progresses, and the newly introduced characters are fairly interesting. Plus, the violence is not to extreme, which I think is a plus. The romance is not a central issue in the book either, which is a downer for me, but all in all, the book is okay.

Basic idea: A half farie, half human witch works for the farie version of the CIA and is posted on Earth. She and her two sisters (and assorted hangers-on) take on 3 demons set on stealing a key that will help unlock the hell dimension and allow the demons to overtake the Earth and Farie. The sisters win, but the demons were just lackies of mister big bad demon, and there are 9 keys in all, so of course the series continues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchling.

message 1: by Neisa (new) - added it

Neisa Reid I Did put this book down. The first book I have not finished. Omg I found it so boring and patronising the werecat tabby oh pls.

But since you say it gets better I might get again from library in a few weeks and make a 2nd attempt. Just to keep my record

Anita Don't bother. I hate this series - I just barely got through the next in the series and didn't read much more than that. It's really an annoying series.

Gardavson nice review

message 4: by Bec (new)

Bec Rose I had this on my to-read list from a long time ago, but after reading this I feel like I've seen this story in Charmed or a similar show and don't need to repeat it.