Julie's Reviews > Lover at Last

Mar 29, 2013

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2013
Read from March 26 to 28, 2013

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Lover at Last is the eleventh book in JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood. It’s a little series, unknown by most really, but I think it’s worth checking out *snort*. Lover at Last is one of the MOST anticipated paranormal romance releases of the year and for me, it lived up to the hype.

For this review, I’m going to talk characters and happenings in a point form sort of way. It’s just easier than trying to rehash everything that happened in this book in lovely paragraphs that meld one into the other. And fans of the series are already well aware of the amount of stuff that happens in a Black Dagger Brotherhood book. Let’s not kid ourselves into thinking I can make all that stuff look pretty in a review ;)

Let’s start with the main characters from past books.

The Brothers and their mates. I think Mary, Marissa, Autumn and Cormia are the only ones we don’t actually see in this book. Honestly, Mary is the only one I missed. This surprised me because in their own books, I like these women. Everyone else is there in one scene or another and I was very happy for that. It’s just not the same when all of the Brothers aren’t all there in a book.

Xcor. I have to admit that I have not really jumped on the Xcor bandwagon. There is potential for a great character there but so far, I’m not feeling it. It’s not him per say but what he brings to the series. Yes I agree that the Band of Brothers brought a new and interesting dynamic to the series but why oh why do they have to be trying to go after Wrath and the throne? That is the part I am not a fan of. Maybe it’s because I am a little protective of the Brothers, their mates and their friends, having reading them for the past 10 books and growing quite attached to them, and I don’t like the idea of someone going after the throne and hurting those I care for. Right now, that storyline is just…annoying me. But Xcor with Layla I like! I like what she does to him and I am really anxious for their book (assuming there will be one). I understand that their book will be filled with the ‘Xcor wants to be king’ plot but I also think that their book is where an uneasy truce will come between the Band of Brothers and the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Because ultimately they both want the same thing: to rid the world of lessers and to do what’s best for the entire vampire race.

Layla. OMG I love her! I know many have not always liked her but I have. I liked her innocence and I love how she is coming into her own, finding herself. She is becoming to me what John Matthew was before his book – someone I feel proud of as I read. She has a couple of pretty memorable scenes in this book and I even ‘boo-ya’ed her in one. I almost hope her book isn’t next because I want to see where she goes from here and I feel there is a lot of story left to be told with her. And you know how it is, once a character gets his or her own book, they are not as visible anymore. I’m not ready for that to happen to Layla yet. I didn’t know exactly how I felt about her being with Xcor but I think they will be a good match. Even if he’s just meh for me right now ;)

Assail. I never really got the point of him. I still don’t. But that didn’t damper how much I loved reading his scenes in this book. He is so awesome! He’s slime, almost compulsive and creepy, but he’s awesome. He’s neither a good guy nor a bad guy, which is a nice change in this series since there is usually only really good or really bad, and he keeps you guessing. And Assail with Sola? Amazing chemistry. Amazing.

Sola. Yes, she’s new. And she’s spunky! Assail calls her ‘his little burglar’. I love that. I loved seeing him so unhinged over her! I hope they have a book and soon because they are very entertaining together.

Trez. There is a whole sidestory with Trez which means Ward is setting us up for his book. I never felt strongly for Trez, meaning I never disliked him but I can’t say I liked him either. He was just there, in the background, and I was okay with that. I’m not sure how I feel about him having his own book. But there is a lot of information about Trez and what a Shadow really is and it was enough to get me started to feel curious about him. And who is HEA is looking to be? Very interesting to say the least. I never expected it to be who it is – not to say that I really expected anything.

And a quick note about iAm, he is one good man. Shadow. Whatever. He is a very loyal character and I liked seeing a little more of him in this book too.

Saxton. *sigh* What a good man…

Luchas. That is all I’m saying.

Of course, let’s not forget Qhuinn and Blay. *sigh* I have been rooting for these two forever but I have to say that I have not been fanatical. I love them and I always have but you will not see me complain that the sex wasn’t dirty enough or that there wasn’t enough time with them on the page. I am not a big m/m reader but I was happy with the level of ‘smut’ in this book. It was hot! And I found there was plenty of Qhuay time on the page, and not only sexy times. When I picked up this book, what I was looking for was real emotion and a good ol’ HEA and that’s what I got.

I always knew Qhuinn was an exceptional character and now I know it tenfold. Ward does such a great job with him. We have watched him change and grow through most of this series and in this book, what we witness is nothing less than incredible. He completely matures in this one but he does it in a way that suits him. It wasn’t like an after-school special – it was à la Qhinn and it was perfect.

Blay is actually where my biggest beef lies with this book. What the hell Blay?! Why, why, why would you do that?! I kept asking myself that one question over and over and over and never did come up with an answer. And I wish I could say more but I can’t because that would be one hell of a spoiler. But even though I wanted to shake Blay more than once, he is still a good male. I love him for Qhuinn.

Blay’s parents. I love them SO much! They are hardly in this book at all but the scenes they have are ones I won’t soon forget.

The epilogue. It was perfect. Just perfect. I re-read it twice. Then again the next morning. Part of the epilogue involves the boys talking about a tux and that scene just cracked me up (it captures each male member of the house so well) and Qhuinn in the epilogue…beautiful.

The next installment. There are three possibilities in my eyes: Assail and Sola, Layla and Xcor or Trez and ??? (I don’t want to spoil that one for you ;) ) I believe Ward will be doing Trez next. I don’t feel as though the other two storylines have developed enough to carry a whole book yet. I may be wrong but that’s what I think. If I am right, I don’t think I will look forward to that book as much as I have past installments. Will I read it? Of course. But I won’t be dying to read it. Hopefully she’ll announce it soon so we won’t have to guess for too long.

POV changes. Yes, these are annoying. You know what I am talking about… You are in the middle of reading about the main couple and the newest thing they must face together in order to face their love and realize just how amazing they are together then bam! lessers. Then back to the main couple for a second then bam! something other than what you really want to read about. I know this is necessary to develop the series and introduce us to future plot idea but it’s still annoying. But damn if it works. It gets me curious about these other storylines all while being frustrated and wanting to get on with it so we can get back to the ‘good stuff’. At least Ward doesn’t do the cutting thing in the middle of a sex scene. Her sex scenes are h.o.t. so flipping to another POV in this middle of one of those would be such a crime.

Romance and chemistry. If your main complaint about the past few books is that there is more ‘kick ass’ story and not enough romance story then you’ll be happy with this book. The only subplot that does not involve a love interest or crush or romance in one form or another is the one with Mr. C and the lessers. And even that is a very small part of the book. I like the romance in this series because I feel Ward does it well and it’s everywhere in Lover at Last. And the chemistry…wow. Ward writes great chemistry, whether it’s between friends, mates or potential lovers and seeing a whole lot of that in this book was nice.

Overall, I really enjoyed Lover at Last. It gave me exactly what I wanted. I got interesting new characters, visits with old characters, twists in existing plotlines, new stories to follow, romance, heat and a perfect happily ever after. For me, it was everything a JR Ward book should be. I was very happy with it.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.

03/27/2013
66.0% "I am really enjoying this so far but I have one question/beef: why is Blay not telling Qhuinn the truth?! What is with that?!"

Larissa YES! I have the same issue!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ great review Julie and i loved ‘his little burglar’ too. Good guesses at the next book...i wouldve thought Trez too...even w/the title until it was explained!

Julie ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "great review Julie and i loved ‘his little burglar’ too. Good guesses at the next book...i wouldve thought Trez too...even w/the title until it was explained!"

I bet Ward didn't anticipate people thinking Trez with that title lol