Anna's Reviews > National Velvet

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold

Oct 08, 08

bookshelves: 2008, children, horses, young-adult, fiction
Read in October, 2008

I was one of those horse-crazy girls growing up, and I read every horse-related book I could get my hands on; but somehow I missed out on this one. It wasn’t quite what I expected – I wouldn’t really consider it a “horse” book. There are horses in it, sure, and they’re important to the plot; but really it’s about the human characters, especially Velvet, Mrs. Brown, Mi, and Donald (Donald was totally obtuse and one of my favorites).
I think it has not aged well in some senses - "Timeless" is not the word I would use for it. I found the language to be pretty confusing at times, especially in the beginning. Once I got into the story things started making more sense and I became more engrossed in it, but I feel like it could in some ways be a difficult book for kids.
Velvet’s situation – suddenly winning/inheriting not one but six horses – is something I would have drooled over as a kid (actually, I guess I kind of still would!). This is one of the ways the book is pretty unbelievable, but the story was captivating and fun enough that I was willing to suspend disbelief for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Velvet.