Lavina's Reviews > Gravity's Rainbow

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

Dec 19, 13

bookshelves: partially_read, fiction, read_as_if_sleeping, abandoned, united_states
Read in September, 2006

It's been ten years, and I have tried finishing this book no less than half a dozen times (the last time I made it as far as page 300-something). "A screaming comes across the sky." Great first line! And then someone's falling through a ceiling, making banana pancakes, snooping, pooping ... and then I just feel like reading something else. I'm not even sure that I can say that I "read" the 300 or so pages of this that I think I read -- I definitely recognized words and sentences, and the act of what I was doing sure felt like reading, but what registered? Not much, because the few events I can recall are only fragments. And the characters? Pirate and Slothrop? Who's who? Couldn't tell you. But I can tell you that this book haunts me more than any other book I've never finished.

A friend of mine was traveling around Peru when he read this. He'd copy passages down in letters to me, and one of them was this amazing paragraph about a kid squirming around in the backseat of a car. I can't remember more than that, but maybe I'll finish this someday just to find that part. Heck, maybe I'm misremembering, and it wasn't even Gravity's Rainbow he was quoting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity's Rainbow.