Johnny Story's Reviews > The Abstinence Teacher

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

M_50x66
Nov 29, 08

Recommended to Johnny by: no one
Recommended for: my mom
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I wish more things/events would happen in Perrotta novels and in the Abstinence Teacher I wished the events would have happened sooner. I equate it to Tarentino's Death Proof structurally, resetting after the first act (100 pages), and then learning the other side (character). The back 9 of the book, when things actually pick up, is great. I zipped right through it. Perrotta's tone is funny throughout, no doubt, because he's a solid writer. That's why I read his work. It's witty and it makes me smile/laugh. However, this book falls short comparative to his other work. It's slower, less exciting, less dynamic, and the stakes are too low. People may knock the ending but I liked it. I felt the redeeming values were in the right place. Nothing about the book was bad. There's just very few people I would recommend it to, including myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abstinence Teacher.

10/25/2008 page 147
39.95% "it's less entertaining, slower developing, and more disorienting than Little Children. Having a hard time getting into it"