Robert Jones's Reviews > Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1: Broken Bat

Batman by Doug Moench

Jun 07, 12

I like the idea of having a copy of the graphic novels the recent Nolan movies are based off (Year 1 for Batman Begins, The Killing Joke for The Dark Knight), so, Knightfall seemed like a good investment to make. I only got Volume 1 because I'm frankly not interested in the subsequent Azrael storyline, though I might end up picking up Volume 2, since Broken Bat ends rather abruptly. Spoiler: the bat gets broken.

Aside from being a little dated (the robot that appears on the first fucking page just makes me cringe), this was a surprisingly good read. Batman starts off pretty sick, and gets pushed to his absolute limits with each villain he chases and brings down. Still guilty over the death of Jason Todd (the second Robin, who died at the hands of the Joker), he refuses to let the third (and current) Robin take part in any danger. It's a good ongoing story that adds depth to the Batman mythos.

You can tell they're rather new to the "Let's at least TRY to give SOME semblance of reality here" game, but that doesn't detract from the experience. Bane is an absolutely terrifying (if somewhat silly looking) villain, and even knowing what's going to go down, it was still pretty cool to see the fight that has been building up throughout.

Art's a little... well... it's a twenty year old novel. The writing is absolutely top-notch, though. Quite frankly, Knightfall is just required reading for any hardcore Batman fans. Fortunately, it also happens to be an enjoyable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.