Sineala's Reviews > Luck in the Shadows

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

Jun 07, 2012

bookshelves: e-books, fantasy, fiction, gay, queer, paper-books, favorites, owned, romance
Read in June, 2012

This is probably the third or fourth time I've read this series, and the first two books are still some of my favorite fantasy books ever. Sure, the setting is a little generic! Sure, some of the secret-identity revelations are completely telegraphed from miles away. Sure, diacritics are üsèd ås déçörâtîòn! But it's queer characters on an awesome fantasy adventure with thievery and spying and magic, and you can't beat that.

This particular book is mostly an infodumpy introduction to the world and all the major characters, and yes, I am reading it for Seregil. And Alec. But mostly Seregil. A couple mysteries are introduced that are not resolved in this book, but there's a political plot that gets started very late and does actually get wrapped up. It's written decently enough -- I'd recommend it to fans of Lackey or McCaffrey or MZB, because it has that kind of feel to it -- and is generally a lot of fun.

(NB to new fans: Seregil and Alec don't actually get together in this one. Keep reading.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luck in the Shadows.

Terri I've just finished this and have immediately bought the sequel - great fun!

Sineala Hooray!