Kathy Bieger Roche's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Jun 07, 12

Read in May, 2012, read count: about 6

"Looking for Alaska" addresses the profound question of how to go on living after we have made choices and taken actions that go terribly, horribly wrong, irreparably shattering our lives and the lives of all those around us.

The first time I read this novel and entered the world of Miles Halter and Alaska Young, a world populated with characters so frighteningly real that I'm convinced they are alive, I felt like my soul had been indelibly seared. I was afraid to pick up another book by John Green after my first reading of this one.

But after falling in love with “The Fault in Our Stars” and “An Abundance Of Catherines,” I decided to go back for a second read of “Looking for Alaska.” This time, knowing the grief coming my way, my admiration for John Green's prowess as a writer wrestling with life's unanswerable questions reached a new peak.

“Why do bad things happen to good people?” “What happens to us after we die?” “How do we get out of the labyrinth of suffering?”

Green is brave enough to show the rawness of life as teens see and live it, plunging the reader into the depths of despair at having to live with the consequences of making bad choices, either actively or passively, to live with regrets, with never knowing the why's and what if's, and yet Miles, finally, finds a ray of hope in a convincing, completely natural (in my opinion), conclusion.

Lucky are we all, teens and adults alike, have John Green to show the reasons not to fold into despair, but to go forward.

And by the way, this deadly book is also full of hilarity!

So I forgive John Green for searing my soul on the first read, and I stand in awe of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.