Mo Shah's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Mira Grant

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012

Here's the thing: I loved the first book. I *really* liked the second book. I was so excited to hear that the final book was out, I devoured it completely. And I have to say - this one is the least favorite of the series.

The central relationship between the two main characters - Shaun and Georgia - is really what propels this series. Yes, it's a dystopian zombie-filled world with a massive government conspiracy, but the spine of the series is Shaun and Georgia. And the "secret" that's revealed in the book - I don't buy it. I don't get it. In fact, it kinda ruins it for me. I won't spoil it for anyone who reads this review, but it's there.

The other secret - the massive government secrecy and the truth thereof - also rings hollow for me. Too cliche for me. Maybe I was already prepped to be disappointed by the first reveal, but I kinda rolled my eyes when I got there. And this book out of the three is the one book that performed the cardinal sin of good fiction: The necessity of action seemed to drive the plot, as opposed to having the plot occur naturally through character motivations. (How else do you explain the Fox/Monkey/Cat interlude and the incongruous necessity for Shaun and the crew to go to the Seattle CDC?)

That being said, rating books is a tough game, because you want all the "5 star" books to be of the same calibre, as the four star, three star, etc. Even this book, at three stars, kicks the Hunger Games ass. Even though I probably rated it higher. I guess its because I expected so much more after the first two books.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.