Kathy's Reviews > Alice Waters and Chez Panisse: The Romantic, Impractical, Often Eccentric, Ultimately Brilliant Making of a Food Revolution

Alice Waters and Chez Panisse by Thomas McNamee

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: cooking-tasting
Read from June 07 to 08, 2012

Okay, I admit I sped read through the last chapters, because after a while the saga of Chez Panisse and Alice Waters becomes the same story over and over again: Great Idea! Passion! Disaster! Revival! New People Just in Time! and so on.

But for a while it was fascinating at many levels: gossip, the sheer bravado of opening a restaurant with extraordinary (and often strange) concepts, the details of people coming and going and menus and recipes (recipes given in a prose recording of "well, then you take the butter, not too much, mind, and you go and get some of those radishes that we planted last week, the baby ones, wash off the grit, and then go grab the baby lamb and the knife..." sort of way). And the business details-- well, there aren't many in true business sense, but it is a tale of not being stopped by silly things like limited cash. Or fire.

Baby lamb brings up one of my problems with many a culinary book, which is that as a vegetarian I do start to shudder at the detailed pages on things like blue trout and baby lambkins. But that's just my problem.

Alice has been majorly influential, at least here on the left coast. Fun to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice Waters and Chez Panisse.

06/07/2012 page 49
06/07/2012 page 247
62.0% "I confess, I'm skimming."