Melissa Rudder's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Jan 21, 10

Recommended for: English Literature Students
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

Now that I have read Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair, I feel as if it is my sworn duty to attend every college commencement and pass the book out to each English major graduate. I don't have the money, time, or resources necessary to accomplish such a goal, so I'll simply write this review. The Eyre Affair is the perfect novel for book nerds: smart, fun, quirky, and full of inside jokes only bibliophiles could love. And thus the perfect quick-read reward for years spent bogged down in elaborate and artful descriptions, convoluted theory texts, and books that force you to think. It's like the first tasty bag of jalapeno cheetos after a gourmet meal. Or something like that.

Fforde creates an alternate London where "classic" literature rules popular culture. The most heated popular debates and dinner discussions are held over the value of existentialism or the authorship of Shakespeare's plays. Hundreds of people go to John Milton conferences... and register by number since they have all fanatically changed their names to John Milton. Literary detectives like Thursday Next work to protect readers from forgeries or--in extreme cases like that of The Eyre Affair--permanent changes to well-loved texts. It's a very fun world to watch characters inhabit, as it's kind of how my brain works. A world where fangirl meets canonical literature and Rochester is a rock star.

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in The Eyre Affair. Acheron Hades, the appropriately-named villain, is everything a villain should be: Articulate, well-mannered, genius, arrogant, and extremely sexy if it weren't for the unfortunate fact that he revels in his wickedness and would shoot his own mother without a second thought. Thursday Next, the heroine of the novel, is best described as... cool. So cool. She's smart, edgy, and reckless. She broke orders to go back on a disastrous battlefield and save the wounded. She stands up to leaders in the Goliath Corporation, a corrupt and all-powerful fortress of money. She travels through time and fiction. So cool.

The Eyre Affair is smart and fun. I look forward to reading other books in the series.

"No bond is stronger than that welded in conflict; no greater friend is there than the one who stood next to you as you fought."

"Some things are more important that rules and regulations. Governments and fashions come and go but Jane Eyre is for all time."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.