Julia's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, mythology
Read from June 07 to 08, 2012

It's in the ocean on the coast of Florida that Emma first realizes that maybe something is different about her. And just before Emma went into the ocean with her best friend Chloe, she tripped straight into Galen's chest, leaving her slobber from her embarrassing moment behind. That is when he realized she was different. As if the violet eyes weren't enough to give it away, the tingles he felt by her touches pulled at him in a way that they shouldn't have. Especially not on land.

Galen, a Syrena prince, is a man of the ocean; he is a Triton. His role as ambassador to the humans is the only reason he is allowed on land, and the only reason he is able to find Emma. He knows almost instantaneously that she is not human, even if she doesn't, and she knows she might be the one thing that the Syrena need to survive - she might be of Poseidon. But all to quickly, he realizes that although the pull he feels towards her is electric and more powerful than he ever could have imagined, his duty to protect his people must always come before love. And as fate has allowed it, the only way to protect his people is for the King of the Triton to unite and mate with a Syrena of Poseidon; Emma must be given to his brother.

Oh, how I love a lighthearted YA novel that makes me giddy and my heart wonder if its supposed to be in a more lively creature like a butterfly. Books like Of Poseidon are why I fell in love with YA fiction in the first place - I can roll up in a ball, piled on top of pillows with my cat snoozing on my toes. Here I live happily in a bubble of magic and bliss with my main concern being that I will either squeal to loud, or wiggle with laughter too much, that my cat will bite me in irritation. Alas, I have two battle wounds to prove that this book was a success and I failed to keep my reactions in check.

The Writing Style
The writing style is what got me from page one. Emma, the main character, is sassy and clumsy. These two things being on my list of favorites words, I loved her immediately. Here is a short excerpt from the first page to help portray the wit I relish in:

”Option One: Run away as fast as my dollar-store flip-flops can take me. Thing is, tripping over them is partly responsible for my current dilemma. In fact, one of them is missing, probably caught in a crack of the boardwalk. I’m betting Cinderella didn’t feel this foolish, but then again, Cinderella wasn’t as clumsy as an intoxicated walrus.”

The Cast of Characters
I absolutely love the main character, Emma, and how her dollar star flip flops became the predisposing factor for something to go wrong. She’s stubborn and can be good with the comebacks with she needs to be, but is also able to play it cool. She has lived her whole life thinking she’s human, and now as she has lost someone who is very closer to her, she forced to figure out how she is going to start living again on her own.

Galen hates humans. He’s calm, inquisitive, and passionate, but he hides behind a serious demeanor. Taraf is openly jarring, not minding to say what he thinks and in the process always incites a few laughs. Rayna is stubborn, rude, but oh so loving underneath her spiky exterior; she gives a lot of attitude, but she is just like every other girl.

The Plot
Since the infamous Percy Jackson stepped into my life, I have been looking for more books that are mythology based with a dash of Poseidon. Despite the basis of the myths, these books all seem to be able to be original with engaging plots that have layers (yes, like an onion).

I loved the story in Of Poseidon. Although the main plot line is followed through most of the book (about combining the Tritons and Poseidon to prevent the end of the race), by the end we see some of the layers peel back. The next book, is clearly, going to be more than extremely exciting. The last few pages brought in a whole new level of amazingness that flowed naturally with the rest of the story but still made me imitate the main character out loud, “ohmygoodness.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

Quotes Julia Liked

Anna Banks
“Emma this is not a joke. Look at your hands! They're... they're... wrinkled!"
"Yes that's because-"
"No way. I'm not going down for this. This isn't my fault."
"Toraf-"
"Galen will find some way to blame me though. He always does. 'You wouldn't have gotten caught if you didn't swim so close to that boat, tadpole.' No it couldn't be the humans fault for fishing in the first place-"
"Toraf."
"Or how about. 'Maybe if you'd stop trying to kiss my sister, she'd stop bashing your head with a rock.' How does my kissing her have anything to do with her bashing my head with a rock? If you ask me, it's just a result of poor parenting-"
"Toraf."
"Oh and my favorite: 'If you play with a lionfish, you're going to get pricked.' I wasn't playing with it! I was just helping it swim faster by grabbing its fins-"
"TOR-AF."
He stops pacing along the water, even seems to remember that I exist. "Yes, Emma? What were you saying?”
Anna Banks, Of Poseidon