Jack's Reviews > Up Jumps the Devil

Jul 28, 12

Recommended to Jack by: Mike Poore
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from July 10 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

If Richard Brautigan and Hunter Thompson were to have had a love-child (and I shudder at the thought) then Michael Poore would have been the result. Mike writes with a toss-away ease, tongue firmly embedded in cheek and wit honed to rapier sharpness.

I have to confess several things in writing this review. The first is that Mike is a part of the increasingly famous Highland Writers Group in NW Indiana. He has written stories with another member of the group, Ted Kosmatka, who has a new science-fiction novel out called "The Games" with Ballentine Books. HWG currently has either five or six published authors that I know of and I am also a member.

I've known Mike for several years. In that time, I have babysat his dog, Jake, drank gallons of Jack Daniels, eaten a half-ton of food at Buffalo Wild Wings (both of whom should be financing his book tour!) and have logged hours of discussion and debate with him, some of which I recognize in the book. So yeah, Mike is a good friend.

However, being friends, I know that he will tell me if my writing isn't making it and I'll tell him if something sucks. I listened to several chapters of this book as it was being written (we read our work aloud at the HWG workshops) and have watched as it metamorphasized. But this is the first time I've read the book in it's entirety.

This is a rollicking good read!

Many people have criticized some of the minor points in the book, such as the affection that cows seem to have for the devil. I believe that is an attempt to weed out those readers that don't have a sense of humor and are too full of themselves. I mean, we have some Christian writers in our group and even they found some of that funny!

This is a book about the Devil as a fallen angel. Lucifer is what some call him. He prefers the name "John Scratch." And he thinks that Earth has the potential to be better than heaven. (Somewhere in my reading over the last five decades, I read a quote that said (I have to paraphrase), "If going to Heaven means that I am going to boringly sing hosannah's for the rest of eternity to a God that has the ego and mannerisms of a spoiled 4 year old brat, then send me to Hell. I'll be happier there!"

That is what this book is about.

God IS spoiled. He steals Scratch's girlfriend. And Scratch spends Centuries trying to make Earth better than Heaven so that he can lure her back and she will stay with him.

Along the way, Scratch learns what it is to be Human.

(And one has to wonder... was that God's intent as well?) LOL

No, this is NOT a religious book, though it does poke fun at narrow-minded thinking. It also pokes fun at those of us that really don't know what we want, but wish for something better. The moral of the story is, "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it... just not the in the manner or way you expected."

Good job, my friend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Jumps the Devil.

07/21/2012 page 88
24.0% "Even more fun than I remember!"
07/25/2012 page 186
51.0% "If Richard Brautigan and Hunter S. Thompson had a love child (and wow, that's a strange enough analogy to make even MY brain hurt), Michael Poore would have been the result..."