John's Reviews > The Practice of Godliness

The Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges

Jun 07, 12

Read from June 07 to July 01, 2012

I gave up writing dow quotes in chapter 3, but there were many more things that struck me. This was a very challenging and encouraging read. I specifically recommend the first 3 chapters.

Quotes that stood out to me as I read:
Ch. 1: VALUE FOR ALL THINGS
"The definition of godliness we will use in this book is devotion to God which results in a life that is pleasing to Him." (pgs. 15-16)

Ch. 2: DEVOTION TO GOD
"The practice of godliness is first of all the cultivation of a relationship with God, and from this the cultivation of a life that is pleasing to God. Our concept of God and our relationship with Him determine our conduct." (pg. 17)

"The Reverend Albert N. Martin has said that the essential ingredients of the fear of God are (1) correct concepts of the character of God, (2) a pervasive sense of the presence of God, and (3) a constant awareness of our obligation to God." (pgs. 22-23)

Ch. 3: TRAIN YOURSELF TO BE GODLY
"We would much rather pray, 'Lord, make me godly,' and expect Him to 'pour' some godliness into our souls in some mysterious way." (pg. 33)

"The emphasis of our age is on serving God, accomplishing things for God." (pg. 33)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Practice of Godliness.