Heidi Rice's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Jun 21, 12

Read from June 07 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It's hard to describe how utterly, totally astonishingly BRILLIANT this book is, but I'm going to try.

It's mythic, it's magical, it has a whole cast of characters that are totally real and compelling, a sense of time and place that's completely evocative and enough drama and tragedy to suck you into a whole new world. And a hero and heroine that you will totally fall in love with, particularly the hero (I defy any woman reading this book not to want to go back in time and marry 18th century Highland warrior Jamie Fraser!) But most stunning of all for me, was that until I'd actually read that 1st page, it's the sort of book that I would never have considered reading in a million years.

I've never been particularly keen on books written in the first person. I'm not into time-travel romances. Why would I read a book that's 800+ pages long when I like my stories short, sharp and to the point? And a ginger hero? A virgin hero? Seriously? No way. And a book in which the hero spanks the heroine, not just spanks her but pretty much exhausts himself giving her a damn good hiding? What the ...? How is he going to come back from that? Be sympathetic. And a book in which the hero not only gets raped but has to confess that he has been violated in mind as well as body? This book shouldn;t have worked for me, but once I had had it recommended to me by the lovely Abby Green I decided - grudgingly - to give it go.

After page 1 I couldn't put it down, by page 20 I was hooked, and by the time Jamie came into the story my life had come to depend on it. I loved Claire Beauchamp the heroine. I loved her spunk, her spirit, her wry sense of humour, her tenacity, her courage, her ability not just to survive but to prosper and eventually to triumph against every adversary thrown into her path until she fell into a love that would last forever. And Jamie, ah Jamie. IN many ways the opposite of an alpha hero but with so many alpha qualities. A man of his time but with a seeking, sensitive personality that means he transcends time.

This book is really beautiful writing, it grabs you and draws you in until you simply can't stop reading it.

Okay, I'm starting to sound a little cheesy, I loved this story so much. But really I think it is literally the best book I have ever read. I can't wait to read the other seven books in the series now. And all cheesiness aside, the only thing that makes me sad about having read it, is that I'll never be able to read it for the first time again.

Diana Gabaldon, I love you!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.