Elvia's Reviews > The House on Butterfly Way

The House on Butterfly Way by Elizabeth Bevarly

Jun 16, 12

Read from June 07 to 15, 2012

I thought that it was either going to be more about fixing a house or about recovering a life, or falling in love. It wasn't really about any and all. I found the book hard to read because it was just so wordy. I mean, don't get me wrong. I love words. I love to read and I love books. I didn't love this book. It was okay.

The story is about Eugenie who moves to Louisville and buys this monster of a house with her brother to live in it with her adolescent son and her mother. She is trying to make sense of the fact that her husband left her for someone who looks like Ethel Merman. She's trying to connect with her son. She connects with her old best friend, Marianne. She tries to connect with her mother who she resents for raising her in a way that did not let her be who she is. However, she has trouble identifying who she is and how she lost herself.

At times in the book there are these obvious soliloquies. As a reader, I would rather feel it through the movement. There are stagnant dialogues. This book isn't so bad. I just find that it doesn't really reach me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Butterfly Way.