Elisabeth's Reviews > Branded by Fire

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, paranormal-romance, 2012-reread
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Psy-Changeling glom
Read from June 04 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: twice

This one was really enjoyable - I knew who both characters were and was interested in their story. Mercy is the sentinel in DarkRiver and Dorian's best friend - at this point she's the only unmated sentinel in DarkRiver. Riley is Brenna's older, less volatile brother, a lieutenant and Hawke's second in command. Already this allows for a different book becos neither is from another race but it does still seem to be something different because their animals are opposites - cats and dogs really.

We get a lot of the sometimes not so friendly rivalry between the 2 changeling groups and initially there is almost a sensation that the other is not good enough - mostly with Mercy's snarky remarks to Riley - you got to love her when she's all "See ya around wolfie".

Mercy is a lovely heroine - strong, loyal, and fair with a solid family background and very well placed in the Pack hierarchy. She's also as dominant as Riley, occupying exactly the same position in the pack that he does. That is the issue in the relationship - she only wants to be with someone who is dominant but her leopard might not accept that.

Riley is the typical changeling hero - extremely dominant and very protective which does not go down well with Mercy and I love that he meets her half way, eventually managing to tamper down that part of him that is so desperate to protect her because he recognises that she doesn't really need that protection because she's pretty kick ass herself.

The overall story arc continues as the Councillors and the Human Alliance make their moves, we're steadily being given more information on the Ghost, Sienna and her power, Kaleb, Tatiana and Nikita's plans, the Psynet's eventual demise? and now there's even going to be a baby - it's just all so delicious and you can't help wanting to read the next one.

Just a sum up - the DarkRiver cats are all mated, we've only got 2 mated SnowDancers,the next two books deal with the Forgotten and humans and then we get Drew/Indigo and finally Hawke - I don't know how people who started this series from the beginning dealt with the lack of SnowDancer books for so long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Branded by Fire.