Harold's Reviews > Fooling Houdini: Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of the Mind

Fooling Houdini by Alex  Stone

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 08 to 11, 2012

I enjoyed every moment reading this book this book! If nothing in the title piques your interest then this book is not for you. But for me? Right up my alley! There is so much of interest in this book - so much knowledge - so much touching on the arcane that I found myself highlighting much of the text for future reference. That Stone can make the mathematics of shuffling a deck of cards interesting speaks to remarkable writing skills. When he explains the universe reflected in 52 cards I am rapt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fooling Houdini.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert I am getting the distinct impression from your remarks that you liked this book. Hope I'm correct in this assumption. LOL! You say, "When he explains the universe reflected in 52 cards I am rapt." I hope Mr. Cundari isn't reading this and wondering why hunc, hock, hoec / hujus, hujus, hujus..." never moved you in the same way back in 10th grade!

message 2: by Harold (last edited Jul 13, 2012 02:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harold Remember the class project? The paper mache viaduct?
THAT was art for the ages.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert My most profound memory is of Mr. Cundari storming out of class after Claire Francisco kept mispronouncing Aeneas' name so it sounded more like "anus," and you struggling to pronounce "ubi" and muttering "Oh shit!" under your breath from the seat behind me. Seems like yesterday.

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Wow!!! I never imagined a book about magic could be truly interesting!!!

You've got my ear, Harold ... I may just check this book out my friend!!!

Robert,

You're TOO funny!!! :) You guys - you and Harold - have such a cool friendship. It makes me wish I were 'one of the guys' in lady form. :)

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Juanita wrote: "Wow!!! I never imagined a book about magic could be truly interesting!!!

You've got my ear, Harold ... I may just check this book out my friend!!!

Robert,

You're TOO funny!!! :) You guys - you a..."

Well, Juanita, I'm going to be 66 at the end of the month, and I've known Harold since I was 11. I think I am finally adjusting to puberty now, but back in high school, I suspect that you'd have simply been one of those beautiful young women I admired from afar. In those days, we were maybe twenty miles outside of NYC in Wayne, N.J. The Russians had missiles in Cuba, and I was making deals with the Lord about how good I would be, if he would just help me find somebody to love before the Russians nuked New York, and I was toast! I suspect that Harold was in roughly the same place.

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita You always make me smile, Robert, with your great sense of humor!!!

I always LOVE reading your posts.

TOO funny!!! :)

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Well, Juanita, I'm glad to give you a smile. From what I can tell from your picture, it's a world class smile, and the world needs more of these.

Harold Actually I didn't sweat the nuclear war scene too much because of the mutual destruction angle. It's scarier now - when a lone nutjob can possibly obtain a suitcase nuke. What DID somewhat freak me out was that assembly where Diffily talked about being a survivor of that aircraft carrier that was sunk in the battle of Midway and the shark attacks on the guys in the water. Yowwwwww!

But...on a lighter note..Juanita, I wish you WOULD read this. I would be very curious of your reaction.

Bob - I didn't realize you were older than me. ;)

message 9: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Awwwwwww ...

You're making me blush Robert. :)

I'll let you know when I do read it Harold.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Diffily was the art teacher, if I remember correctly. I recall him from junior high school. I thought he was really cool, but I don't remember that assembly. I remember the actor, Robert Shaw, in the movie, " Jaws," talking about being on the "Indianapolis, the boat that delivered the A-Bomb, getting torpedoed, and being in the water during a shark attack. I don't remember the assembly with Mr. Diffily. It may have been scary enough that I blacked it out.