Kelly Hart's Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Apr 28, 2013

Read from March 29 to April 12, 2013

Way back around book three or four in this series, we met two pretrans, who we all quickly fell in love with – Qhuinn and Blaylock. Over the course of the past seven books, we’ve watched them transition into strong and brave vampires, become warriors, grow into honorable males, and of course, fall in love.

And it wasn’t always easy to read …

For the buildup to this couple was often filled with pain, heartache, and regret.

Until now! :)

Yes, these two have finally found their HEA! :D

And that’s what made Lover at Last possibly one of the most anticipated novels in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and possibly of this year.

But I must digress because Qhuinn and Blay’s HEA wasn’t all that made this book totally worth the read. There was a lot of other stuff going on in the town of Caldwell, New York worth noting.

Here are a few of my highlights (without giving too much away):

1. Assail became a character I actually wanted to read about: When we first met Assail, in Lover Reborn, I didn’t think he was all that interesting, or that he’d play a big role in the future of this series; however, my mind began to change with this book.

One of the side stories in Lover at Last is all about Assail, so we got to learn a bit more about him — which I surprisingly rather enjoyed. It seems he’s not just the slightly scary and dangerous businessman we met last year. He’s actually quite suave and sexy, so it was no surprise when it was revealed that there’ll be possible HEA for him sometime in the future.

2. Layla … I don’t even know where to start with her: The Chosen Layla had a lot going on in this book, as well. Between her being pregnant with Qhuinn’s young and the forbidden feelings she’d been having for Xcor, Lover at Last gave her a pretty rough go of it and I’m pretty sure the tough times are not over for her by any means.

Will Layla get an HEA? I’m sure she will, but it’s gonna take a while (and probably a lot of pain) to get her there.

Or more precisely, to get Xcor there.

But when it does happen, I believe it’ll be explosive and well worth the wait!

See, these two are quickly becoming one of the most interesting couplings for me in this series because they are so night and day – polar opposites – it isn’t even funny. She’s like the poster-child for everything that’s good in this world that J.R. Ward has created, while Xcor, as it stands right now, is the enemy and the poster-child for everything wrong and bad.

It’ll be interesting to see how these two will find their way together and how they’ll make it work.

3. There’s an initiation into the Brotherhood: Yes, that’s right … someone was initiated into the Brotherhood, but you’ll have to read the novel to find out whom. All I’ll say about it is that it’s been a long time coming and the initiate is very deserving of the honor.

Now, as you can see there was quite a bit going on in this book and I believe J.R. Ward did a fabulous job of fitting it all in, without making me feel overwhelmed while reading it. I genuinely enjoyed every bit of it and that’s why I gave it five out of five stars.

As with all the books in this series, I totally recommend it!

Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion. I have not been paid to review this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.