Chad Warner's Reviews > Ender's Game

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction
Recommended to Chad by: Daniel
Read in June, 2008, read count: 2

One of my favorite books ever. I was expecting nerdy sci-fi, but was pleasantly surprised by a story packed with morals, ethics, responsibility, influence, politics, manipulation, exploitation, personal limits, trust, and friendship. It's entertaining and thought-provoking to see how the Wiggin children use the power that comes from their uncanny empathetic ability to understand and influence others.

I like the conversations at the beginning of each chapter, which lend insight into the people and events behind the scenes of Ender's life, such as Graff and the other Battle School administrators working to shape Ender. I also like the sections where Peter and Valentine scheme competitively yet cooperatively.

The book stands alone, but is even better when followed by Speaker for the Dead (my review), Xenocide (my review), and Children of the Mind (my review). I reread Ender's Game after finishing those books and the Ender's Shadow series (my review), which adds a lot to the characters of Bean, Valentine, Peter, and the Wiggin parents.

The 20th Anniversary audiobook (Macmillan Audio) is very well done, and includes a commentary track where Card recounts the history of creating, writing, and publishing the story, then explains his search for a studio to make the movie adaptation.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.