Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Synopsis:

Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.

My Thoughts:

This book has had quite the mix of reactions to it. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I enjoyed it. There were, of course, elements that I could have done without, which is why this isn't a 5 star read for me. Still, I very much liked Qhuinn and Blay's story. I hadn't realized just how much I loved Blay as a character until I read Lover Reborn last year. I fucking love Blay. And I know there are people that haven't liked Qhuinn much as the series went on, but he's been trying to get his act together. He still had plenty of issues to work out and it takes him longer than it should to do so, but he does and I admire him for it.

It takes some serious things going down for these two to finally come together and the first time, it almost doesn't happen. But after Qhuinn begs, though he tries to, Blay just can't resist and he goes back to him. And what occurs is damn hot. I loved that scene. Until Qhuinn tried to get affectionate and Blay panicked and ran away. I understood why he did, it though. He's spent all of these years in love with Qhuinn and has seen him never stick around for seconds and Qhuinn's never even tried to sleep with Blay before, so of course he freaks when Qhuinn gets touchy feely afterward. Qhuinn doesn't like it, but he thinks he deserves it after the way he's handled things with Blay. There are a lot of misunderstandings between the two of them until the end where after Blay unloads his frustration on him and forces him to see the truth of himself. I was wondering wtf was going on considering that was all the way at the end of the book, I couldn't figure out how closure was supposed to be made here. I ended up liking the way that it was handled, though. What Blay told Qhuinn there when they were in the Iron Mask, I was so happy. Real breakthrough moment there. And then that scene in the epilogue was awesome. Until that cheesy last line of the book. She couldn't think of another way to end the book? That was just sooooo silly.

I like the other elements that were also a part of Qhuinn and Blay's story as well. That discovery that they made in that cabin? Talk about not seeing that coming. I hope nothing weird develops from that. I am sad for Saxton, but he knew it was only a matter of time. I hope he gets to be truly happy at some point. And then (view spoiler) We knew it was coming, but it was still great to see it. I love the scenes with Blay's parents, too. They are so wonderful.

Of course, there were other storylines going on in the book, but I'm not up to talking about them. I really only read this book because of Qhuinn and Blay's story that I'd been wanting for forever, so most of the other stuff doesn't matter to me. I probably won't drop the series like others are planning to, but I'm not really anticipating the books for those storylines. I do care about what track the Band of Bastards is on now, though. I don't like what they've got planned next for taking Wrath down. I don't hate these guys, but I can't root for them, either. I still don't see how Xcor and Layla can get together with the path he's on. I can't see him being granted some kind of pardon and what will Layla do considering she's carrying Qhuinn's kid, but falling for the enemy? She can't leave the mansion and take the baby with her when it's born and it's not like Xcor can come and live there. It just seems like these characters are back into a corner. I don't know how Ward can write them out of it. I'm not that invested in the outcome of it. I do like that Xcor is very sweet with Layla and she had some fierce moments in this book. Still, I'm not certain if I want to keep reading the series just to find out how Ward gets the two of them together.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.

04/06/2013
2.0% "Now why did he go there?"
04/06/2013
2.0% "I just realized this is a past event. Feeling just a little slow here."
04/06/2013
2.0% "I really don't like his parents."
04/06/2013
3.0% "Looks like somebody is about to be made into a Lesser."
04/06/2013
3.0% "I knew that had to be a Brotherhood's ride. They stole their ride!"
04/06/2013
8.0% "Whoa, Blay went off."
04/06/2013
9.0% "So much misunderstanding between these two, but I can't fault Blay for thinking like he does. He has no reason not to."
04/06/2013
9.0% "Trez has 99 problems and apparently, a bitch is more than one of them." 4 comments
04/06/2013
12.0% "Saxton is making me sad."
04/06/2013
13.0% "Another new person's head to be in. Not sure how I feel about this. This must be Assail that she's spying on, so I'm guessing we'll be in his head at some point, too."
15.0% "Mmmm, Blay."
04/06/2013
17.0% "I'd forgotten that Qhuinn's brother had been part of the Honor Guard that night."
18.0% "Oh, Saxton. T_T"
04/06/2013
18.0% "Drug dealing vampires and lessers. Things only get stranger and stranger in this series."
04/06/2013
20.0% "Is that really happening? I kind of hope not."
21.0% "Whoa! Z!"
04/06/2013
21.0% "This is quite the turn."
04/06/2013
23.0% "Qhuinn is seriously gonna fly this shitty ass plane right now?"
04/06/2013
27.0% "Qhuinn is always rescuing folks."
04/06/2013
28.0% "Havers is not happy and he'll likely be calling Phury quite soon."
04/06/2013
29.0% "Yet another POV? From Zypher this time, eh?"
30.0% "Blay's mom <3"
04/06/2013
31.0% "This is a really bad time to lose it like that, Qhuinn."
04/06/2013
34.0% "Wow, he's begging for it."
35.0% "Hot. Damn hot."
04/06/2013
35.0% "When is Blay gonna tell Qhuinn that Saxton broke up with him?"
04/06/2013
36.0% "Those missing dealers must have been the ones that got turned into lessers. How long before Assail figures that out?"
04/06/2013
38.0% "Look at Layla getting all scary on Phury's ass."
04/06/2013
40.0% "Qhuinn shouldn't have to take that all on. This is Layla's fault."
04/06/2013
41.0% "He is really obsessed with that chick. I'm guessing there will be an Assail book down the road."
04/06/2013
42.0% "I think it's time for you to change how you've been living, Trez."
04/06/2013
45.0% "That's great. Now he knows where they are."
04/06/2013
50.0% "Will you try again Blay? After that session and what lead to it? You so should."
04/06/2013
53.0% "Will Payne be able to do it?"
04/06/2013
55.0% "Assail will do business with anyone."
04/07/2013
59.0% "There are like three future pairings going on in this book. It's getting to be too much. Xcor pining over Layla. Assail pining over Sola. And now Trez is pining over a Chosen. Ain't that bout a bitch."
04/07/2013
64.0% "Wtf is Elan doing setting Assail up like that?"
71.0% "What. The. Fuck."
04/07/2013
76.0% "The BDB compound may not be as impregnable as you think, iAm."
04/07/2013
80.0% "Assail is obsessed. She really isn't watching you, dude."
04/07/2013
85.0% "I knew he'd run into Selena as soon as he got to the Compound."
04/07/2013
86.0% "Wrong impression time. =["
04/07/2013
87.0% "So now they're going to use Beth against Wrath in order to take over? Bastards."
89.0% "Total misunderstanding."
90.0% "Blay's dad <3"
92.0% "Really, Trez?"
04/07/2013
94.0% "It probably was Benloise that took her."
04/07/2013
97.0% "Lol @ Blay staking claim"
04/07/2013
99.0% "Wait, is that the line that bothers so many people? That is the cheesiest thing. Did she really have to put that there? I can't even..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Berta Great review, Mello! Love it!

The 'breakthrough moment' at the club... *heart melting*

I am really interested in the Layla/Xcore story, myself. How will that ever work?! Remember Tohr vowed to kill Xcor! Some people are guessing Xcor will somehow rescue Beth from a dire sitch and almost be killed while doing it- that would be the only way the Brotherhood would ever think of not killing him.

Anyway I'm glad you liked the Blay and Qhuinn story as much as I did. :)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Thanks Berta! I so loved that scene at the club. It was perfect.

I think I'll read to find out how Ward gets Layla and Xcor out of the situation she has them in. 'Cause right now, it seems impossible. Being that the contingent against Wrath want to use Beth against him, I could see maybe Xcor doing something to save her if someone tries to harm her if for some reason he thinks he should. Layla likes Beth, so if he finds out about that, I could see that motivating him. After all, the only thing keeping him from attacking the Brotherhood at home is the fact that Layla lives there. He doesn't care about the shellans or any young that live there, so if Layla weren't living there, he'd attack in a heartbeat. Just wait until he finds out that her young is Qhuinn's. Granted, if Qhuinn hadn't kicked Xcor's ass so bad, Xcor never would have met Layla.