Harold's Reviews > The Case of the Velvet Claws

The Case of the Velvet Claws by Erle Stanley Gardner

Jun 07, 2012

bookshelves: crime-fiction-mystery, revisited
Read in June, 2012

The first Perry Mason and this Perry is a tough guy. I recently read a short story in The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps by ESG. It predated this book by a short time. The hero was an attorney named Ken Corning and he had a female secretary whose name I can't recall right now,but both are the characters that reappear in Velvet Claws renamed Perry Mason and Della Street.

The book was highly entertaining. There are several clever plot twists and I didn't guess the guilty party before the mystery was revealed. This book differs from later Mason in that there is no courtroom scene where Perry's cross examination provides the revelations necessary to solve the case, although Perry in effect cross exams a few people in the course of investigating the case. One wonders why someone would allow themselves to be cross examined voluntarily while not in court and perhaps that is one of the reasons ESG later made the courtroom the scene of much of the dialogue.

I'll continue with this series, in chronological order when availabilty allows. Years ago I read many Perry Mason novels and still have 6 or 7 paperbacks laying around in a cardboard box that I will raid now and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Velvet Claws.

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Have I mentioned that I have become addicted to Perry Mason reruns on late night T.V.? Just can't seem to stop myself. I remember reading one of these out of a grandma bag and thinkng (surprisingly for me) that I might be too young to appreciate it.

Harold I should seek out that show on cable. I used to really enjoy it! I thought Raymond Burr was perfectly cast for who Perry eventually evolved to in the novels.